Railroad Forums 

• NYA going east of the KO

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1063467  by ChessieDave

Hey guys,
My son and I have been trying to catch NYA going out east past the KO and onto the the YA like we use to always do. For the last week all we have seen is empty tracks ( as far as freight goes). I know it use to be about 930 - 1030 ish the NYA would go east pass KO mon-fri and the stone train on saturdays. Has the times changed since the track work has begun or are there no more freight going east? Been a while since we have rail fan"d and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you'

David and Matt
 #1063701  by tahawus84

last i heard a few months back they now run at night. I have seen them once out in riverhead in the daytime within the last month or so maybe its changed? someone with more knowledge will hopefully let you know
 #1063897  by jayrmli

Due to the schedule change a couple years ago, it became harder for the daytime freight to complete all of its work out east, so for the most part it is now serviced at night. You may see an occasional daytime freight as service warrants, but probably not for the Summer because of trackwork going on west of KO.

Jay
 #1064001  by jayrmli

I'm not one of "those guys" anymore, but I assume they head east of KO after the Scoot returns from Greenport. They probably go east after 11:00PM.

Jay
 #1064778  by emfinite

If the RS50 runs east of KO at night, it usually meets train 2073 at KO or CI. #2073 leaves Ronkonkoma station at 11:13pm. Sometimes the 50 is in the siding at CI waiting to go west when 2073 passes and sometimes they're in Certified siding.
 #1070319  by ChessieDave

Thanks for all the help guys. But I seem to be " no luck chuck " bc we have tried three times and nothing. Hopefully with track work ending next week our luck will change. BTW does anyone no when freight is moved at the BRT? Been out there several times and see new hoppers and tank cars just never see any of it moved. Also, does anyone know what the ( I believe ) 4 sets of tracks on the east side of the terminal are for? Each one has a bumper at the end of the track , almost looks like the makings for some kind of intermodel facility....thanks again for all of your help.
 #1070337  by emfinite

They've been having the RS50 meet train #2073 at CI almost every night lately. I'm on #2073 Wednesday - Friday and we hold the main while he goes around us. Sometimes he fouls all the way from CI1 to CI2, the trains are that long. Though tonight, they did run west as the RS51, probably because of trackwork during the day not allowing them to do daytime runs at all.

Dave, send me a private message when you can...
 #1070343  by freightguy

I'm on #2073 Wednesday - Friday and we hold the main while he goes around us

The old "saw by" meet at CI that one has been in the playbook for a while. Sometimes they would do that with the Tilcon train to Prima when unit stone still ran there.
 #1086078  by SlackControl

With the BRT, seems like some pretty long trains run out that way. The switch is a facing point switch when you go eastbound. How is the move done to drop off and pick up cars there? Do they bring the train to AH or LD sidings and run around the long trains out there, and then return west to service BRT?
 #1086187  by SwingMan

SlackControl wrote:With the BRT, seems like some pretty long trains run out that way. The switch is a facing point switch when you go eastbound. How is the move done to drop off and pick up cars there? Do they bring the train to AH or LD sidings and run around the long trains out there, and then return west to service BRT?

I believe they have a run around and or loop..
 #1086304  by lirr42

If I recall correctly, the switch faces east, so there is no reverse move required coming from KO and points west (I believe they re-aligned it during the construction of the terminal). Then there is a loop inside the terminal for turning trains.
 #1086421  by tahawus84

i dont believe there is a loop inside the terminal. the loop was on the original plans but was not built like that. only one time i saw them make a delivery at the terminal they had the cars for them in the head end and left the rest of the train on the main. they pulled in the loads and left them on one track then went to another and shoved out the empties to the main. now this was when they first opened so maybe things changed. im sure jay will respond soon