Railroad Forums 

• NYA embargoing customers east of Greenlawn?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #442376  by Spartan Phalanx

In another topic it was posted that NYA is not serving it's customers east of Huntington/Greenlawn anymore due to weight restrictions. Is this true? So no more steel for St. James, lumber for Port Jefferson or turning the engines at the Northport siding?

#442378  by jayrmli

I never believe anything until I see it (or don't see it), but yes, that's the plan. Also say bye bye to Penny Lumber in Southold too.

Jay

#442485  by badneighbor

so much for the political rah-rah of increased freight service and all that. Heavier DE-DM engines use bridges... not freight. Another attempt (excuse) to kill freight service around here.

#443211  by jayrmli

The rule regarding the weight does not apply to engines. Just cars.

Jay

#443303  by badneighbor

What expense would be involved in upgrading the bridge structures? Not that MTA would be interested...

#443462  by Jayjay1213

Otto, I think it is because it is not an official embargo, actually a smart, easy way to get rid of some business and streamline the operation.

#443591  by jayrmli

There is no official embargo. The carrier has determined that they lose $xx.xx for each car delivered. As a common carrier, they are not responsible to subsidize the delivery of one customer by charging more to another. If the customer in question wishes to pay the additional costs, they will deliver the car. Otherwise, the customer will need to find alternate means of receiving the car elsewhere (i.e. transloading).

Jay

#443920  by John 61

I can see their (NYAR) point. All the years I worked in Smithtown I would see the freight bring a single carload to Port Jefferson and then have to return within a week to retrieve the empty car. I'd say about 90 percent of the time they didn't have a full carload to replace the empty with.They would come out again in a couple of weeks with another car and start the process over again.. Once in a while Port Jeff would take more then one car, but not very often.

#444010  by badneighbor

too bad there just isnt the type of industry to support the volume on all these east end lines.

#444130  by willchill

I've heard of recent belt-tightening and intense number crunching at NYA world HQ. Is this all part of that?

How many carloads make a trip to Pt Jeff or SD worthwhile? The old strategy, from a casual observer, seemed to be to grow the business wherever possible, including far eastern reaches. Hold on to the small customers because others would sign on and eventually it would be all worthwhile. Like a loss-leader. Or like "build it and they will come." After the present stragglers are dumped, if new customers do materialize it will be hard to convince the old guys to return.

And what's with all the belt tightening anyway? Isn't NYA in good financial shape? All that talk about "biggest year ever" every year?

#444969  by jayrmli

More number crunching than belt tightening. New regime - new priorities.

Old regime slogan: "We need to reduce the amount we spend on car hire."
Solution was to run lots of jobs, provide daily service. Run lots of extra jobs.
Result - Low Car Hire, High Overtime

New (secret) Regime Slogan: "We need to cut overtime costs."
Solution is to watch the crews, not run jobs if there isn't a desperate need for it. Let the cars sit until you have a lot of cars to move.
Result - High Car Hire, Low Overtime.

The money is still being spent, just paid to different people.

Jay

#445422  by Spartan Phalanx

Has NYA made it's last run east of Greenlawn to St. James and Port Jefferson yet? Do these customers know that they are getting embargoed?

#445450  by RPM2Night

It sucks that they are cutting overtime. Freight guys don't get paid a very high hourly rate, and the extra overtime helps the guys earn a living...and it's not like they don't deserve the OT....they definitely earn every hour they work. It's not an easy job, for the engineer or conductor. Lots of physical labor climbing on and off of the trains, running around throwing switches, walking brake tests where it's required to walk the entire train, and being exposed to all of the weather conditions while doing all of that. It's sad how a lot of railroads seem to be developing what I call the 'retail mentality'....and for those who have worked retail you know what I mean. Hopefully the management will learn that it's worth it to spend the extra little bit on OT, and run the cars out when the customers need them rather than waiting for the cars to pool up. I can't see the railroad as a whole being very productive trying to keep the crews to 8 hour days. Can't get much accomplished on a freight job with only 8 hours to play with.

#445482  by KFC Jones

These valient attempts to cut overtime are usually temporary for the above mentioned reasons. Not just @ NYA but anyplace... A new broom makes a clean sweep in order to justify his position on the payroll at the expense of those below, but when things get screwed up enough they revert to normal!