Railroad Forums 

• NYA Connection to Hell Gate Bridge

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #122049  by Lirr168

I'll keep it short and simple: what ROW(s) allow NYA to connect with other freight trains that travel out of the city via the Hell Gate (such as CP)? Reading the thread about NYA delivering the R142's to NYCTA got me wondering about this because i know that those cars had to come down here from upstate, presumably via the Hell Gate. Thanks in advance guys.

#122110  by DogBert

Fresh Pond. The track from hell gate swings down to there and crosses over the lower montauk (where the yard is). South of that point the track becomes the bay ridge branch.

#122153  by Lirr168

Thanks DogBert!

#123336  by Legio X

Speaking of Hell Gate, did anyone see the Amtrak welded rail train that was parked on the Queens side of the bridge over the Grand Central Parkway this past Sunday. It had a single cowl-type unit on the east end of the train when I first saw it in the morning, and later on coming home I saw it again, but this time in addition to the cowl unit, which turned out to have the roadnumber 832, there was one of those new switchers which I believe are built out in Boise, ID, wearing roadnumber 573. Yesterday morning, it was gone. Anybody know what they were doing, and why use an obvious passenger train locomotive for such work?

#123505  by DogBert

that rail train moved over the bridge probably in the early afternoon and returned (heading towards sunnyside) later in the afternoon. I'm not sure what they were doing but there is a lot of horn blowing so some form of work must be or must have been going on.

I didn't get a good look at the train, but adding to the mix was a light engine move - possibily that #832 connected to a work engine of some sort. Perhaps they were just running around the train at that point though?

#124938  by DogBert

those work trains are back again today. the welded rail train is parked over randalls island. there is a crane/caboose combo also up there on the same track.

Lots of horn blowing. you could hear csx coming all the way from the bronx...

#160113  by Gilbert B Norman

Of interest regarding the Oak Point derailment that has disrupted Amtrak operations since yesterday is that the incident was caused by a yard assignment making up a train to be interchanged with the NYA at Fresh Pond Jct.

#160165  by DogBert

CSX, (unless they came down early this morning) hasn't run down the line since. Nothing yesterday, so far nothing today that i know of.

No idea if CP came in kast night either.

Amtrak is back on a seemingly limited schedule though...

#160218  by DogBert

nevermind. csx going in now. looks like a longish train... fairly normal 4 engine run (2 SDs, one B36).

#160321  by DogBert

CP left with a longish train, including the sardine can M1 that was ripped open on the bridge at fresh pond.

CSX just left. 7:30ish. Latest I've seen them run since I've lived by the tracks...