Railroad Forums 

• NYA 101: Interchange

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1167612  by Tadman

I don't pay much attention to NYA, so I'm curious - where does most interchange freight come from? It seem like there are four options to me - NYP tunnels, carfloat, connection to the New Haven Line, and connection to the Hudson line via what appears to be a long waterfront trestle. I'm guessing the NYP route is not used, and not much comes across on floats anymore, leaving P&W and CSX as the only real connection. I'd appreciate a quick lesson on how this works, though.
 #1167632  by Backshophoss

Most of the freight moves from CSX on the Hudson line from the yard at Selkirk to the Oak Point Connector track to Oak Point Yard in
the Bronx,then the final move over Hellgate Bridge to Fremont/Fresh Pond yard,when D+H ran freight, followed the CSX routing.
The P+W stone trains seem to staged out of the ex-NHRR yard at Cedar Hill(New Haven Ct) run down the New Haven Line to
New Rochelle(CP 216),then run on Amtrak's Hellgate route till joining CSX on the freight track over Hellgate Bridge to
Fremont/Fresh Pond yard.
Most of the freight interchange is at Fresh Pond yard.
Bay Ridge yard is where NY+A does(minor) interchange with the Port Authorty's NJ+NY switching line,
the carfloat operation between Greenville yard(ex-PRR)-Bay Ridge is back in operation after Sandy's damage was repaired.
 #1167929  by jayrmli

Their official interchange points would be Fresh Pond (CSX, CP (now through haulage agreement via CSX), and P&W.) Their connection to NS is via NYNJ Rail in Bay Ridge. They also interchange with Brookhaven Rail in Yaphank.
 #1168465  by lirr42

Amtrak forbids freight coming through the East River/North River Tunnels, not that there would be any room for a freight train to take a slot in the tunnels anyway. Plus no freight railroad has any dual-mode locomotive to go through the tunnels anyway.***

Most of the freight comes in as others have said, via CSX from Oak Point down to Freemont/Fresh Pond, where NYAR takes it from there.

A small amount of cars come in via NYNJ rail in Bay Ridge, but no real heavy loads come in that way.

***-the one exception to that rule is the yearly Circus Train. See how that move works here.
 #1168832  by freightguy

The NYAR ex LIRR fleet has never really went out for a true rebuild at almost 40 years old. Around 2004 they sent a few of the geeps 261 and 68 to P&W I believe for basic repairs. A 38 probably isn't giving you a true 2000 HP same with an MP15 at 1500 HP. From what I hear the LIRR MP15acs are in worse shape than the NYAR fleet. Who knows , when the 2199 leaser arrives it might be in the best shape of them all. Especially in paint if it arrives the GMTX blue and white!
 #1169119  by freightguy

Sorry that last post was supposed to go in outdated 2004-11 thread. Who is going to make the jump to create 2013 forward rail sitings NYAR
 #1169203  by lirr42

Nah, the one that's there works just fine. Plus it's pinned so it always stays at the top (and we don't have a moderator to change it for us!)
 #1191059  by MNR's #1 Conductor

The vast majority of NYAR interchange occurs at Fresh Pond Junction in Glendale, Queens. CSX is the chief interchanger, with a daily transfer from Oak Point Yard, Y-101/102, both trains which largely now operate very early in the morning east(north) and west(south) bound, 5 to 6 days a week, Mon-Sat, with occasional extra runs on Sunday depending on how much traffic that is to be interchanged. Occasionally, CSX will run the South Bronx local, Y-303, down to Fresh Pond depending on how much interchange there is. Traffic to Oak Point Yard that gets transferred to Fresh Pond comes in from Selkirk Yard, Albany NY via CSX road freight Q-431 (the reverse to Albany from Oak Point is Q-430, both trains run 5 to 6 days a week), routed south over Amtrak between Albany and Poughkeepsie, where it runs over MNR's Hudson Line, then off the Hudson Line at CP 8 in The Bronx to CSX's Oak Point Link to Oak Point Yard. The other portion of interchange comes from NYNJ Rail (Port Authority Of New York & New Jersey) who carfloats interchange to Bay Ridge (65th Street) Yard from Greenville, NJ, where interchange also comes from NS and Conrail.

Providence & Worcester (P&W) runs more or less a 3 to 4 times a week stone train from Cedar Hill Yard, New Haven CT, symbol CHFP/FPCH, to Fresh Pond, and this train usually runs mid to late evening over MNR's New Haven Line to New Rochelle (CP 216) then over the Amtrak NEC (Hell Gate Line) to Pelham Bay Interlocking, where it switches over to CSX's Market (Oak Point) Running Track all the way west thru Oak Point and over the Hell Gate Bridge and the CSX Fremont Secondary to Fresh Pond.
 #1192653  by MNR's #1 Conductor

csx8851 wrote:Which days are the best days to catch FPCH?
What are the time intervals for Y102?
FPCH more or less shows up 3 to 4 times a week, and since it is prime track work season for the LIRR, and road project season in the NY and LI areas, the stone comes most often between now and September. But FPCH, being the returning empties to CT, tends to show up now in daylight around 6 to 6:30 pm. IO saw it yesterday about 6:50pm waiting at Pelham Bay Interlocking, and if you're around Hell Gate, you should get a good daylight view of it heading east.

Now Y-102, the northbound (eastbound railroad-wise) counterpart to Y-101 heads from Fresh Pond to Oak Point anytime between 5 am and 8:30 am, I observed it heading east to Oak Point over the Hell Gate at 8:45 am on Thursday.