Railroad Forums 

• NY Stations Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1525730  by nydepot

After a LONG hiatus, I've revamped the Existing Stations in NY State website. It's now a Wiki-format site and much easier for me to maintain. It's been up for a couple of weeks. The databases I used were fine but the scripts associated with building/updating the site no longer worked and I was doing everything manually in the end. Now it's much easier.

Stop by when you have a chance. I've processed all but about 20 emails that I had saved since I stopped updating (that was 266 emails). The updates were mostly removal of stations along with some date updates and newer photos than 1996, when John Stewart started sending photos to me.

If you'd like to stop by and look at the Verify page, that would be a big help. There are new stations on there that might exist along with some old ones that never got confirmed after all these years.

Also, I could use updated photos, again, some are 23 years old. There are email links on the site.

http://ny.existingstations.com

Thanks,

Charles
Last edited by nydepot on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1543020  by nydepot

Many updates since the relaunch (as well as many stations being removed).

I've updated all the photos for Orleans County, taken during a whirlwind trip yesterday.
 #1543061  by nydepot

Updated Genesee County today with all new photos.

Also I've been converting more addresses to latitude/longitude. This makes more sense as people use online mapping and satellite imagery. Plus,. I've noticed some street name changes as, for example, Depot St (what's a depot dad?) becomes "Veterans Way". Street name changes is not something I need to start tracking.
 #1543153  by nydepot

That's the column "Use", sixth column from the left. These descriptors have been used since I started the site in 1996.

Municipal - Some sort of local government - typically means you can get exterior access.
Private - typically a house - may have a hard time getting access
Business - self-explanatory - typically means you can get exterior access.
Historical - something like a museum - typically means you can get exterior access.
Vacant - it's owned by someone but sitting empty in various states of repair - typically means you can get exterior access.
Railroad - the railroad still uses it - may or may not get access.
Business-Dining - a place to eat, see a station, and sometimes, if the railroad is still running, see a train.