Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#885267  by MNCRR9000

Found this article from the New York Post Today.
It was a "suicide mission" that had him side-stepping the third rail in blinding snow.

A motorman whose A train got stuck during the blizzard recounted the treacherous night, saying yesterday that he climbed onto the tracks a terrifying 20 times over a desolate stretch of Jamaica Bay to manually clear snow from the signals.

Yann Willam Hicks, who's been a driver for four years, was forced to do the work by hand because the metal "signal" arms that automatically shut down a train when they're hit were frozen in the upright position.

"I had to get off at every signal because they were stuck in the upright position. I did this on the bridges above the water!" Hicks said. "We'd travel for a bit, get stuck, I'd get out, then we'd travel again. This happened about 20 times."
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/quee ... z19WPNyZ91
 #885476  by railfan365

It's amazing. The dispatcher who sent those trains out should be fired IMMEDIATELY. Endangering the lives of crew members and stranding riders out on the line is a lot worse than having everyone stay where the were before boarding.
 #885497  by HBLR

That guy deserves a raise and a 2 week paid vacation somewhere warm.