Railroad Forums 

• NY OLS-1 Operation Lifesaver car

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1474263  by BR&P

Trying to get rid of stuff, and came across an 8x12 color pic of New York State Operation Lifesaver's car OLS-1. The ex-PRR car was donated by Conrail, repainted by volunteer labor (both railroad employees and non-railroaders) at Ontario Midland's shop in Sodus in the early to mid 1980's. It's fresh from repaint (using paint from NYDOT, same colors as highway trucks etc back then). I believe the car is now on permanent display at Syracuse. Not sure who took the pic, may have been our own MP366 who was one of the volunteers, may have been the late George Hockaday, may even have been me, I just don't know.

Anyway, before the print goes into the recycle, I'll scan it and post here for posterity in case someone cares to see it. Sorry, my scanner cut off the far end of the car, it was there on the actual print.
img714.jpg
img714.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3350 times
 #1474321  by The Man

BR&P, if you would kindly send the print to CNY NRHS at PO box 229 Marcellus, NY 13108 we would gladly add it to our collection. We purchased the car along with OLS-8, the sled trailer from OLS last year and we try to keep as many photos of our equipment as possible in the event we want to restore it to one of the different paint jobs. We can give anyone you want credit for the pic.
 #1474463  by CP4743

Anyone know the history on this car before Conrail painted it up as their Mohawk-Hudson Training Car? I assume it is ex NYC, ex PC.
 #1474497  by nydepot

See first post. ex-PRR.
CP4743 wrote:Anyone know the history on this car before Conrail painted it up as their Mohawk-Hudson Training Car? I assume it is ex NYC, ex PC.
 #1474500  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:Trying to get rid of stuff, and came across an 8x12 color pic of New York State Operation Lifesaver's car OLS-1.[/attachment]
Thanks for sharing! I bet many people don't know about the existence of these cars...

-otto-
 #1474545  by lvrr325

With roller trucks I always thought it could be used in excursion trains but apparently there's some issue with the frame that's not worth the expense to repair.
 #1474596  by MACTRAXX

BR&P:

Interesting NYS Operation Lifesaver color scheme on this former PRR coach reminding me of how
LIRR cars were painted back in the 1960s - the World's Fair 1964-65 type in particular. The type
of lettering used on top "NEW YORK STATE" looks something similar to the "LONG ISLAND" that
was once used above car side windows. The LIRR 60s colors were orange on charcoal gray.

The main differences between what is visible on this car comparing it to the LIRR scheme was
that LIRR cars had solid orange ends instead of zebra stripes and a gray roof instead of silver.
The LIRR did not use "pinhead" marker lights - two standard size markers were the norm then.

Does anyone have a recent picture of this coach to share? Is this color scheme still in use?
MACTRAXX
 #1475937  by BR&P

The Man wrote:BR&P, if you would kindly send the print to CNY NRHS at PO box 229 Marcellus, NY 13108 we would gladly add it to our collection. We purchased the car along with OLS-8, the sled trailer from OLS last year and we try to keep as many photos of our equipment as possible in the event we want to restore it to one of the different paint jobs. We can give anyone you want credit for the pic.
Took longer than the couple of days I promised but the pic went out today. Still don't know who the photographer was.