Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by amtrakowitz

Asbury Park Press
A New York Citizens Budget Commission study reelased Thursday said that NJ Transit should take over the PATH rail system to eliminate a potential $500 million deficit and finance it by raising fares by 50 percent and increasing sales and property taxes in five New Jersey counties and the central Manhattan business district.

The idea of having the Port Authority spin off the PATH to NJ Transit was foreshadowed Monday by Martin Robins, director emeritus of Rutgers’ Voorhees Transportation Institute, at a panel discussion about Port Authority reforms. …
  by morris&essex4ever

Hopefully, this will never happen. NJ doesn't need higher property taxes, even if it's for 5 counties.
  by MattW

On a list of transit agencies I'd think could take over PATH, NJT was way down on the list. Ok, maybe not too far since there aren't too many agencies physically close by. I'm somewhat surprised though they didn't consider integrating it with the subway. Maybe not physically at first, though I understand that at one time that was seriously proposed. Then they could route the 7 past Secaucus to Newark without much new infrastructure! :P
  by 25Hz

Wow. That's all i can say.

7 train to the swamp, because everyone going to a mets game wants to take a 2 hour subway ride through protected wetlands on magical floating tracks!! (no, we don't)
  by Steve F45

How much does it cost PANYNJ to run path per year? Did that study take that into account that if NJT took it over, that it would increase its budge and spending? So how would it close a 500 million dollar gap? Raise our property taxes too? I mean why not just kick us out of our houses.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I looked at this plan and here are some thoughts:

First-A $5 PATH fare(!!!) would be a bit much for many riders to comprehend and I do feel that this alone would cause a degree of ridership loss...
Doubling current unlimited smart card fares would also be a significant hit...

The proposed fare increase could help NY Waterway's ferry services across the Hudson...They would definitely then have full incentive to undercut the high PATH fare...

Second-I question NJT taking over the PATH system - but I do feel that this would be different if the mid 1970s PA-proposed PATH Plainfield Line extension had been built to
replace the then-CNJ commuter service - which has evolved into today's NJT Raritan Valley Line...

Third-A PARTIAL take-over could be a interesting possibility...For a time back in the H&M days service to Harrison and Newark was actually operated as a joint H&M/PRR service
and a separate PRR ticket was required if you rode W of JSQ...Some of the 1958-vintage Class K cars actually had PRR Keystones on them...NJT could co-fund this line...

Fourth-This goes to show how important the PATH System's preservation in the early 60s has been to the NY-NJ region...I wonder what would have happened if the PA had not
stepped up and taken over the H&M...I also feel that the lines E of JSQ could become a part of NYCT if that was what was necessary to preserve this service if the PA decides
to end its ownership of the PATH system...especially after all that was spent on infrastructure upgrades such as the new PA5 car fleet...

Fifth-Let's find a way to balance transport dollars and keep this vital rail service...It would be easiest if PATH stays the same as we know it...

MACTRAXX
  by philipmartin

I like the idea of raising NJT fare 50% to fund the take over. My job, selling NJT tickets would become much easier because there would be a lot fewer people bothering me to sell them tickets. I see sticker shock now when I tell people the fares. Raise fares 50% now and I'll have to give them oxygen, and keep them warm until the EMTs arrive.
  by 25Hz

philipmartin wrote:I like the idea of raising NJT fare 50% to fund the take over. My job, selling NJT tickets would become much easier because there would be a lot fewer people bothering me to sell them tickets. I see sticker shock now when I tell people the fares. Raise fares 50% now and I'll have to give them oxygen, and keep them warm until the EMTs arrive.
  by morris&essex4ever

Maybe this was a late April Fools joke?
  by 25Hz

morris&essex4ever wrote:Maybe this was a late April Fools joke?
Lets hope so.
  by ryanov

PATH presently has such awful service on the weekend (Newark trains that just sit at JSQ for four rotations of the 33rd St train -- more than 30 minutes) that I can't imagine any operator running it worse.

Anyways, I imagine they're talking about raising the PATH fare 50%, not the rail fares.
  by Ken S.

ryanov wrote:PATH presently has such awful service on the weekend (Newark trains that just sit at JSQ for four rotations of the 33rd St train -- more than 30 minutes) that I can't imagine any operator running it worse.

Anyways, I imagine they're talking about raising the PATH fare 50%, not the rail fares.
Oh NJT can run it worse. Missed connections, train speeds slowed to the point of uselessness, no more overnight service, etc.
  by 25Hz

ryanov wrote:PATH presently has such awful service on the weekend (Newark trains that just sit at JSQ for four rotations of the 33rd St train -- more than 30 minutes) that I can't imagine any operator running it worse.

On weekends they often single track between newark and journal square, and often they use the upper platform at newark. This allows them to inspect & work on the other parts not used during this time. Come weekday the trains gotta run near capacity all day.
  by umtrr-author

Interesting to relate this to the item also posted here about the former PRR Hudson River Tunnels only having 20 years or less to live.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 6&t=155957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that were to happen with no backup plan, the PATH for 5 dollars might start to look good. So might the revival of ferry service, though one would still have to get to the shoreline. (Possibly the "Jersey Shore" line.)