Railroad Forums 

• NY&A now serving World Recycling switch on Central Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #605645  by emfinite

Passed by the "new" switch for World Recycling today on the Central Branch and saw two NY&A MP15s switching inside the fence there. Saw an assortment of OGIX and TLTX hoppers on the two southern most tracks (there's 3 tracks I believe). I understand that two or three companies are served on that switch. Just curious which ones.

Just a little report I thought I would share with you guys...
 #605648  by RPM2Night

How often will they get cars?

Speaking of new customers, how often will that new Bio-Diesel customer get switched out in New Hyde Park? I see the cars with a pipe hooked up to them every now and then passing by. Do they take loads and empty them, or empties and fill'em?

It's great seeing new customers for the NYAR!
 #606117  by tushykushy

That's definitely very recent developments. It wasn't too long ago that it was another pending customer with a lot of hot air.

The New Hyde Park guy has to be serviced when one of the jobs has a very short cut of cars since it is done while tying down the main. Usually the RS-30 will do it on days it does a PJ run since it only goes up with a handful of cars. It is definitely a very challenging move.

Also.... there was a clip of UP hoppers that came out last week in junction with a good strip of stone. Those UP hoppers have volcanic ash that will be trucked to the new CitiField stadium for the Mets on the new warning track. I believe there was a cut of 8 that made it out there and no further shipments are scheduled.

Out east is also active again mainly at Prima. Expect them being very busy throughout the winter.
 #606180  by jayrmli

The New Hyde Park guy has to be serviced when one of the jobs has a very short cut of cars since it is done while tying down the main. Usually the RS-30 will do it on days it does a PJ run since it only goes up with a handful of cars. It is definitely a very challenging move.
Not as challenging as the "experts" may tell you. That siding was serviced years ago for Chesler Plywood (which was located all the way at the end of the siding) while holding the main, even with 20 or more cars. You just need to find a slot that allows you to do it.
Out east is also active again mainly at Prima. Expect them being very busy throughout the winter.
Emptying stone cars in the middle of winter? Sounds like fun emptying those cars. :-D

Jay
 #606390  by wasKFC

tushykushy wrote:The New Hyde Park guy has to be serviced when one of the jobs has a very short cut of cars since it is done while tying down the main. Usually the RS-30 will do it on days it does a PJ run since it only goes up with a handful of cars. It is definitely a very challenging move.
I don't understand what train length has to do with it. If you're tying up the main anyway, what's the difference?
 #606437  by jayrmli

I don't understand what train length has to do with it. If you're tying up the main anyway, what's the difference?
The difference is if the train is too long, and straddles Nassau's interlocking, they can't cross a train over to Track 2 to run around. All the trains behind you have to wait, affecting OTP, and making them not too happy.

The secret is to open that blue binder in your bag with the word "Timetable" on the cover, and look up a time when you can hold the main and not affect any westbounds. To some conductors (i.e. "What are you talking about Guy?" :wink: ) this is an impossible feat. Hence the earlier comment about this being a challenging feat. Instead, they leave it up to the Block Operator, and just ask "When can you send me?"

Jay
 #606687  by Sir Ray

Nobody seemed to answer my question, which was 'is that the correct location' on the live-local link I posted (which was on N. Queens Ave., a few blocks south of the intersection of 109 & 27/Sunrise Hwy) in Lindenhurst? It looks likely, with the switch off the Central branch and the graded ROW for a siding, but sometimes that means nothing.
Or is it a totaly different location (also possible)?
 #606852  by jayrmli

What's the conflict over whether to use the switch at 84 lumber or not?

Also, what's the future of the switch for Synergy gas?

Was the switch at Southampton Lumber ever used?
84 Lumber contracted with the railroad to have the switch installed. Riverhead Building Supply has huge political influence in Town of Riverhead politics, and thus the Town insisted that 84 Lumber pay a huge building permit fee to install the siding onto their own property. This is of course a violation of Interstate Commerce rules, but to fight it would cost a fortune, much more than to just pay the fee. Out of spite, 84 Lumber (and justifiably so) will not pay the Town of Riverhead one dime for the permit, so the switch sits useless.

Similar situation at Synergy Gas. They had the switch put in, and when the Town (of Brookhaven this time) found out, they passed some type of ordinance banning deliveries of Propane via rail. As far as I know, the switch never was used to deliver propane cars. It was occasionally used to hide a car or two, but that's it. It's since been disconnected from Synergy, and the rails straightened for use by Winters Brothers. Don't know if anything more was done to it than that.

Southampton Lumber never saw service under NYAR days.

Jay