Railroad Forums 

• NWP to Eureka Southern to NCRA

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#593279  by Otto Vondrak

Help me figure this out.

The entire former NWP is embargoed/abandoned, right?

The Eureka Southern is no more, right (reporting marks were what again)?

Then what is the North Coast Rail Authority, why do they think they own the railroad, and what exactly do they claim to operate?

Sorry if this is re-hash, I'm just a confused Easterner...
 #593309  by westr

Here's the story as I know it: The Northwestern Pacific was owned by Southern Pacific. The northern portion, from Willits to Eureka was sold off to the Eureka Southern (reporting marks EUKA. GP38 picture Caboose picture) while SP was still operating the part south of Willits. When the Eureka Southern finally went under, the government took over (state or local, not sure which), creating the North Coast Rail Authority to hold title. The NCRA operated the former Eureka Southern as the North Coast Railroad (perhaps an operator who leased the line). SP/UP got the NCRA to take over the whole line (it was around the time of the merger) and the entire line was named back to Northwestern Pacific (not sure if it was the same operator as the North Coast Railroad or not) with a SP black widow paint scheme. It didn't last. As far as I know the line isn't officially abandoned, but it's in such bad condition that the entire line is out of service.
 #593869  by Otto Vondrak

That was my understanding as well... entire line intact, no funding, and embargoed until further notice. Which leads me to believe that NCRA's web site is more wishful thinking than anything else... unless there is some portion of the former NWP that they are operating...

-otto-
 #676869  by WP 707

The NCRA has announced last week that it WILL start service from Lombard or Schellville to Willits (if I got it correct)

I guess that proves the Cloverdale Theory: Build a station & the trains will come...

Meanwhile, the rails were removed a few months ago where the tracks north of Willits cross hwy 101...the Eel River canyon has several landslides and a partially collapsed tunnel...it's th emost expensive trackage in the USA to maintain...the mountains are rotating & crumbling, the same mountain range of the Coast range that is causing CalTrans to bypass Confusion Hill with a new viaduct due to open later this year...Confusion Hill on hwy 101 & the crumbling landslide on the tracks in the Eel River canyon are only 30 to 40 miles aprts as a crow flies (Confusion Hill is on a different branch of the extensive Eel River system, but shares the same geologic features)