Railroad Forums 

• NW2 103 Builders plate?

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#354323  by PRRGuy

Ok, I usually surf eBay for builders plates when this one popped up. It's listed as a BN plate. I look up the builders numbers when possible to give the sellers the extra info on trainweb.com. This plate came up as RDG 103 a NW2....as you know this loco is preserved so I fired off an email to them about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
 #354365  by geep39

AHA! So that's where this thing popped up! There was a photographer, who should know better, who was helping himself to builder's plates in the Philly area where this engine was (he did get caught) and was selling them in a flea market. I asked him where that builder's plate got to, and he said that it was long gone, and he had no idea where it was.

#354543  by PRRGuy

Well, hopefully the historical society will get ahold of it now that it's been found. Now if only the builders plates for our NKP 624 would show up...
 #355027  by geep39

This brings up a subject: If you have builders plate(s) from a preserved locomotive, shouldn't you haul them out of your moldy basement and donate them to the organizaion that owns the locomotive? Or, should you keep them squirrelled away so that they get thrown out with the rest of your "train junk" when you die?

#355056  by PRRGuy

Exactly, however all the builders plates in my collection are unfortunately from scrapped locomotives.

Maybe someone from the Museum..or a Reading fan might bid on that plate for the Museum...
 #369053  by geep39

Well, the builders plate showed up!
The owner showed up at the Allentown Train Meet last week,"DUHH, Here's the builder's plate to the 103(HILK,HILK!)", showed the plate to the president of the RCT&HS, and turns out to be a disaffected member of the organization. Oh well, I guess we won't see the plate on the locomotive anytime soon. It'll just be squirrelled away. How nice!
This hobby has a lot of jerks in it, I guess.

#369204  by PRRGuy

I'm sorry to hear that..I did put a bid in on it also. If I were to win it, it would've been in the mail to the group by now..