Railroad Forums 

• Numbers in Window

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1612687  by RandallW

Those numbers should be the car number within the train consist. Note that car numbers may not be in order and may not be consecutive. Where Is My Room On Amtrak’s Auto Train? gives examples for the Auto Train. (The Auto Train platforms have signs showing which car will be where on the platform; I've not seen that on any other train.)

The train attendants I've spoken to come up with their own rationalizations for the car numbers, but have ultimately admitted they don't know of a rhyme or reason for the car numbers being what they are.
 #1612691  by ExCon90

Afaik, in general the first two digits are the train number and the last two identify the car, with gaps left to allow for additional coaches or sleepers on certain days (back when they added cars to accommodate demand, that is). Occasionally the car number indicates what car it was on yesterday's inbound trip ...

Incidentally, I thought it was the attendant or conductor's job to set the number display before passengers boarded. Seems surprising they wouldn't have figured the system out.
 #1612692  by ExCon90

RandallW wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:27 pm (The Auto Train platforms have signs showing which car will be where on the platform; I've not seen that on any other train.)
SP painted car locations for the Coast Daylight on the platform at intermediate stations. PRR had lettered platform locations placed at intervals along the platforms at 30th Street, and shortly before a train arrived would announce which cars would be at which locations. I think other railroads had similar provisions; at Grand Central and at Boston South Station, and many other stub-end origin points on various railroads the car numbers would be posted at the departure gate in the order in which the passenger would encounter them in walking forward. Standard practice in many European countries is to post the car locations on diagrams displayed on the platform at all intermediate stations. From what I've read in various posts here over the years I suspect that the practice on Amtrak is for local supervisors to do as they please.
 #1612696  by JimBoylan

Paoli, Pennsylvania on the Pennsylvania RR had location signs on the Westbound platform and numbered signs 1 through at least 5 West of the platform to tell the engineer where to stop with that many locomotives and cars behind the engine and before the 1st passenger carrying car. A station employee could then announce with confidence ahead of time the platform location where certain cars would stop.
 #1612697  by JimBoylan

Your sleeping car ticket will tell you not only your room letter or number, but also the car number that is supposed to be displayed in that little window. With older cars, it might also be displayed on the end doors.
 #1612709  by RandallW

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:40 pm Afaik, in general the first two digits are the train number and the last two identify the car, with gaps left to allow for additional coaches or sleepers on certain days (back when they added cars to accommodate demand, that is). Occasionally the car number indicates what car it was on yesterday's inbound trip ...

Incidentally, I thought it was the attendant or conductor's job to set the number display before passengers boarded. Seems surprising they wouldn't have figured the system out.
It's not that the system isn't know--its that the why's of the system that were opaque. Like why are odd and even numbered sleepers separate on the Auto Train? The attendants I talked to both rationalized it as crew always knows the direction of the dining car (center of the sleeping section) from any sleepers, but one stated he did not know if that or something else was the intent of why the car was numbered the way it was.
 #1612751  by Greg Moore

And honestly, I've rarely if ever seen them correctly updated on coaches.

Sleeping cars tend to have them updated however in my experience.