Railroad Forums 

• NS through Middletown, Townsend, and Clayton, DE

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #464528  by motor

Today I began a new job in (actually my job was relocated to) Townsend, Delaware.

Townsend is about 5 miles south of Middletown, DE, and 7 miles north of Clayton, DE. All three towns are on NS's Delmarva Sub.

How busy is rail traffic through these towns? Although I lack a scanner and have no intention to photograph, I'd like to railfan there every once in a while, especially in Townsend since my commute takes me across the NS line.

Hmm?

motor

#466209  by BoilerBob

I guess you can see by the number replies that there aren't too many that know. AFAICR there aren't too many trains, and I don't know any schedule.

#466337  by Aardvark

Here's a link to a website with a wealth of info about delmarva's rail lines http://www.trainweb.org/peninsularailfan/

Most of NS's stuff runs at night due to restrictions on freight during the daytime on the NEC. You might catch the stone train to H&K in the morning if you're early enough and its running late enough. Other than that, there's a local that runs out of Dover during the day, and an interchange with the Maryland and Delaware just south of the grain towers in Townsend.

Hope that helps, good luck.

#466492  by motor

Aardvark wrote:Here's a link to a website with a wealth of info about delmarva's rail lines http://www.trainweb.org/peninsularailfan/

Most of NS's stuff runs at night due to restrictions on freight during the daytime on the NEC. You might catch the stone train to H&K in the morning if you're early enough and its running late enough. Other than that, there's a local that runs out of Dover during the day, and an interchange with the Maryland and Delaware just south of the grain towers in Townsend.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Thanks, Aardvark. It does.

On my homeward commute, as I head west, I cast a quick glance to the left to see if there are cars parked on the M&D and a couple of times last week I spotted a cut of hoppers. One night there were a couple of tankers as well.

motor