Railroad Forums 

• ns: running long hood first?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#420533  by Superglide

.Taurus. wrote: What's up with that GP 38 for example?
Does it have controls on both sides of the cab, so that the engineer can sit on the right side when running long hood forward?
Some old units had two control stands to run both ways but they've pretty much faded away. I haven't seen one in service in about a year where I work. Few and far between anymore and NS was one of the last holdouts I think.
.Taurus. wrote: Secondly I know from cab photos, that the american & canadian widecabs have controls only in 'correct' driving directions.
A little bit more difficult?!?
A unit with a desktop stand is very difficult to run LHF but I have been ordered to do so on occasion. Nothing is where you can reach it and a sore neck is a given. A 'conventional' stand is easier but still less than ideal when you're running it LHF as everything operates backwards and all the gauges are in the wrong place to be easily read.
.Taurus. wrote: So if running LHF in a widecab, the engineer sits behind his controls, maybe turning around his seat or looking through the outside mounted mirros and try to observe the roadside signals; but the conductor had to help the engineer, right?
Depends on the control stand inside, not the style of cab. A widebody may have a conventional stand (as do NS units) or a desktop. Trying to run a desktop LHF means that the controls and displays are behind you. You need to have your head attached backwards or sit sideways in your seat to do it. Very tough order and I usually scream like a wounded dog when they tell me I have to.

#471108  by Malley

Always guessed that LHF was a carryover from steam practice, and intended to better protect crew in the event of a collision. What do they say about airline pilots being first to arrive at a crash?
Of course, the crappy visibility LHF makes an accident more likely...
Malley

#471180  by Superglide

I don't know that a collision is more likely. If something's in front of you, there's a good chance you'll hit it before you stop even if you can see it. You might have a few extra seconds to get the air on and duck if you spot it early enough but if you're rolling, it ain't gonna matter much.
I don't buy into that extra protection theory too much either. If you work day-in and day-out breathing exhaust smoke, you're apt to be just as dead in the end as if you hit something. It just takes longer. I'd rather roll the dice on a collision than inhale that gunk for 30 years.
The toughest thing with LHF is running Restricted Speed with that big snout out in front. You have to be able to stop in half the range of vision and if the track's bent away from you...there is no range of vision. Add fog, rain, snow etc. and you're pretty well at a standstill.

#471282  by Malley

Super, I was just speculating. My grandad was B&O, and they ran their Diesels LHF; in fact, I was unhappy with a Pennsy Lionel because the working light was in the short (wrong) hood.
Perhaps it was in another strand here, but it was suggested that LHF was supported by the Brotherhoods to protect jobs; a second set of eyes (head end brakie or conductor) was needed to call signals and otherwise monitor what was ahead around that LHF.
It is my understanding that the short hood is protected with collision posts and other chassis parts for safety. Is that true, and would you care to elaborate?
Thnx,
Malley

#471541  by Superglide

Malley wrote:...My grandad was B&O, and they ran their Diesels LHF; in fact, I was unhappy with a Pennsy Lionel because the working light was in the short (wrong) hood.
As with anything, including Lionel...alot of it is what you're used to. If I'd hired out earlier and always run long hood leading, I suppose SHF would be 'backwards' and we'd be screaming bloody murder to change it back. LOL
Malley wrote:...LHF was supported by the Brotherhoods to protect jobs; a second set of eyes (head end brakie or conductor) was needed to call signals and otherwise monitor what was ahead around that LHF.
That has possibilities although I've never heard it. Lots of times you need a second set of eyes running short-hood so it would make sense.
Malley wrote:It is my understanding that the short hood is protected with collision posts and other chassis parts for safety. Is that true, and would you care to elaborate?
True. There are very substantial steel uprights in the nose plus anti-climbers, sand boxes and crush zones built into the cab. I believe the idea is to keep whatever you hit down on the ground instead of having it jump up and land in your lap. The weight and size of a locomotive alone is good protection unless you tangle with something pretty solid. My biggest worry as far as getting hurt (aside from colliding with another train) is hitting a truck carrying heavy stuff like gravel, steel, logs or concrete. Those loads are tall enough to come right in the windshield over the top of the nose and massive enough to crush the cab and derail the engine. Most other vehicles and objects will just get pushed out of the way or dragged. Flammable loads are another issue.

#471602  by jgallaway81

Some of the pics they post in the offices of OTHER roads' wrecks show such damage that the engine was ripped from teh frame anyways. If the wreck is bad enough to crush the cab, chances are running LHF will simply allow the engine to crush you instead of just whatever you hit.

Me? I'll take my chances in one of the new widebodies anyday. Running LHF is only acceptable to me when I'm spining power on a wye, like at either end of Rockville Bridge in Harrisburg.

But, if NS could get teh wester roads to stop making our power sets into elephants, us CR guys much prefer a back-to-back set, cab-signal equipped. This eliminates the need to turn engine even at the end of the trip.

#471749  by Big Ed

We had #1620 the other day which has 2 control stands, but only a radio on one side. I've been on a handful of trains running LHF in my short time out here and you really have to pay attention as signals, mileposts, etc, really become a pain to see as was mentioned. GE's are especially a pain in the butt LHF.

#472978  by Malley

In the vein of running power the wrong way, Charlie Roberts talks about the Jerome Loop on the S&C; he claims it was possible to even run articulateds backwards, but crews hated the bad visibility and weather blowing in to the cab.
At least you guys have a back in your cab!

Malley