Railroad Forums 

• NS repaints Wabash E8

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1237081  by Tadman

I saw this today on Canadian Railway Observations' fb page - evidently NS has donated time and paint to refurb a Wabash E8. I'm unclear if they're just painting it or if she's going to be operable again. I'd love to see it operate, the E's are one of my favorites. The sounds of a twin-engine non-turbo'ed EMD is pretty darn cool. According to the comments, the trucks went out for rebuild at some point - I'd guess that means she's going to run again. There's not much sense in spending big money on trucks if its' going to sit.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 3899_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1237881  by Tadman

Update: scuttlebut has it that this unit is being prepared to attend "Streamliners at Spencer", an event for next year featuring plenty of E/F-units. So far, they've got commitment for the NS tuxedo units, the museum's SOU E and F, the museum's ACL 501, and Bennet Levin's Pennsy engines. The million dollar question - since Doyle McCormick's PA is now in NKP livery, will it attend? That would be amazing.
 #1239412  by TSTOM

Tad -

Just read about this upcoming event at Spencer Shops....is May 14, 2014 correct ?

TSRHS and ARHS will reportedly be sending their twin restored/recreated LACKAWANNA F3's that now reside and run periodic excursions at Steamtown in Scranton.

Kudos to NS for once again hosting a terrific railfan event !

( Maybe you could adjust/expand this thread title to alert folks to this upcoming event ? )
 #1254927  by TSTOM

I'll tell ya, the NS paint crew is really superb....what a beauty !

BTW Tad, does she run now or was this just a cosmetic restoration ?
 #1268687  by glennk419

Tadman wrote:Update: scuttlebut has it that this unit is being prepared to attend "Streamliners at Spencer", an event for next year featuring plenty of E/F-units. So far, they've got commitment for the NS tuxedo units, the museum's SOU E and F, the museum's ACL 501, and Bennet Levin's Pennsy engines. The million dollar question - since Doyle McCormick's PA is now in NKP livery, will it attend? That would be amazing.
Yes, Nickel Plate PA-1 190 will be in attendance, along with Erie E-8 833.
 #1297937  by Missyg24

NS repainted & fixed it up. Rumor or word of my fiances step dad who talked to a guy who works in Juniata Locomotive Shop.... Wick gave the owner of the Wabash engine free of charge for some parts (parts they found elsewhere for it) new springs, trucks, fresh paint, id say whole nine yards almost lol. Seen it at Spencer before, when it arrived in Altoona and while it was at the shops. But didnt see it leave. Thats ok.
Attachments:
Spencer Streamliners Event 2014
Spencer Streamliners Event 2014
P5300375.JPG (176.64 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
 #1299426  by Tadman

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share my story from Streamliners at Spencer. First, I didn't go. You might wonder what the heck I saw, then. Turns out I was eating lunch trackside in Downers Grove, IL, along the BNSF racetrack just west of Chicago. After innumerable scoots, freights, and a few Amtrak trains, another pumpkin orange BNSF freight charges east into town with some odd blue/white engine in tow behind the power. Turns out it was NKP 109. Wow! Seeing an Alco PA in this day and age is an event I had written off. Even given Doyle's resto project in PDX, I didn't count on ever seeing it. What a treat!