• NS new hire questions

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by underscore

A family member just took an electrician at a union shop. Very experienced, but he's joining the commercial world again after several years of self employment. He's never been in a union before. He's certainly willing to join the union, no problem.

However, he's received very little info about anything regarding his job (benefits, joining the union, etc). His first week was nothing but company-directed safety, diversity and workplace awareness type stuff. No info on how to join the union. No info on even applying for benefits (they kick in after the first month). During the interview process, he mentioned to each person he talked to that he'd need a couple days off in May for his daughter's wedding. All those he talked to said this wouldn't be a problem. But when he got his training schedule for McDonough, it spans the time of the wedding.

Of course, any questions he asks regarding the union, no one answers. They just say talk to the union rep.

Not knowing the union way of life, he's frustrated that he's not getting all the new hire info he'd get day one at a non-union job.

Is the union rep going to be his main POC for this info?

Has he not gotten any info yet on benefits because they don't kick in till 30 days employed? Something about a probation period?

If this isn't the right place to ask this, can someone direct me?

by gp80mac

He will have to talk to the union reps. Management won't say one thing about them. (And I don't think anyone would want to hear their opinions of the unions anyhow.)

All he'll have to do is ask most employees - they'll be happy to provide the phone numbers of the union reps. But don't worry, the union reps will probably find your family member. In addition, most places I've seen also have the numbers posted on bulletin boards.

I got my benefits package mailed to me after a month, but I'm not in the same trade as your family member. I don't know how the electricians are, but they warned us about missing most family events...