Railroad Forums 

• NS (N&W) Peavine Railbanking

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #946617  by iceman977th

Does anyone know anything about the railbanking east of Peebles? I've looked on several sites, and there are talks of selling it to a shortline, some of getting it back into a mainline operation, but nothing recent. Does anyone know what's going on with this line? I've passed it on our alternate route to Dayton, just never knew about it alot till recently. It looks like NS 217 used to run this line, along with a couple other trains that run north on the Columbus line now...Any info appreciated, thanks!
 #1020280  by 23kexpress

Not a whole lot is going on. There is no through traffic anymore and several miles of the line coming out of Portsmouth heading west are out of service. There is still local service on the remaining sections, but I don't know the industries that are served. There has been talk of a short line taking over or reactivating the line but nothing has happened so far. The line use to be signaled but its been turned off since ~2006ish.
 #1034322  by iceman977th

Just a quick bump, anyone heard anymore about the Peavine? I stopped in at Vera & saw the CPL coming off the Peavine southbound on the Columbus line towards Star yard was still intact and not swapped out, any particular reasoning for this? Do they ever run any trains (even small MOW) on the railbanked section? I've wanted to drive towards Peebles & see what the rest of the line looks like...