Railroad Forums 

• NS INTERVIEW REVIEW 9/25/15

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1421261  by jkell1234

When I did mine in September 2015. It was a long day. Showed at the place and took the written test and listened to the schpeel of how hard rail life is and to make sure its truly what you desire. They, like Amtrak make it sound very promising that if the people who make it to the interview are going to most likely get jobs. They use the you will be. I guess its all on how you read into it. Anwyway here is the timeline as best as I can remember

0700-1100: Heard the briefings and then were administered the tests. Were told to check back in at 1pm to see if your name was on the list to be interviewed.
1300(1pm): Checked the list and low and behold seen my name. I had passed the tests. But there like 15 people there and they interviewed in order and the interviews were set up in 15 minute increments with a 5 minute reset.
I cant remember the time i interviewed but i spent the whole afternoon outside in the hallway to the ballroom where they held the interview/ test portions. Went in for the interview and it was like is your application accurate?
Have you ever been written up or reprimanded?
Have you ever been injured on the job?
What is your opinion on safety or something to that effect.

Then they asked if I had any questions for them. I was number 14 of 15 to be interviewed so they were a little cranky and pushy. Lady said I would here feedback in 3/5 business days.

Still waiting for that feedback 16 months later. So I am assuming i didn't get the job.

When I went for Amtrak, this whole process took more than 3 months for me just to get rejected. So even though I got rejected and it was a long day, I wish Amtrak would adopt this process for hiring its conductors.

The one thing I got from both companies was their recruitment speeches make them sound as if they are desperate for people and when you get to showtime they break the news that there is only 1 position for 1240 people who applied.Any kind of wind in your sails goes away and I Don't like that but i guess it is what it is.
 #1421293  by Acela150

The reason Amtrak doesn't have a process similar to NS is very simple.. The HR rep can't grade the test then and there. NS they can. They have to grade them by scantron at a central location. Test results for Amtrak usually take 3 days as far as I can tell from previous experience. Although the first time it took some serious busting to get my results. The second time which was a re-test for math I got results much easier.