Railroad Forums 

• NS in Maine?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1167606  by KSmitty

I realize this is 4/1 and the date has quite the history here, so I'd like to preface this with a clear statement that I'm not jerking your chain. Hoping we can avoid the typical April Fools Day nonsense.

This evening, about 6oclock I was buzzing through Leeds Junction. I passed a late model Chevy Suburban trackcar. Strange part was the Virginia plates and NS markings. They turned around in the small dirt lot and headed back for 202. Disappeared before I could get turned around to get a better view.

Anyone got any idea what was going on, seriously?
 #1167638  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

probably just a Road Foreman or Supervisor in their company vehicle checking things out on the RR. NS is based out of VA I am assuming because for example, Amtrak has their license plates as DE, and to be exact, most of their vehicles have Bear, DE labeled
 #1167752  by newpylong

That would make sense but their railroad ends in Littleton, MA... trying to find a lost piece of PAS track equipment that went a little too far east? lol :)
 #1167823  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

newpylong wrote:That would make sense but their railroad ends in Littleton, MA... trying to find a lost piece of PAS track equipment that went a little too far east? lol :)
ahh I understand now, Maine didn't even phase me there, probably are looking for a lost locomotive haha
 #1167840  by jaymac

Remember in the long-ago times just around the turn of this century when NS geo equipment would occasionally show up and gave rise to the Going Real Slow training jokes and then -- not much later -- we all got familiar with the letters PAS?
I don't think the driver got lost, but there's the chance some recon was being done. Reconning for what purpose is well beyond my retirement pay grade, but the Pony tends to be serious about doing things well.
 #1168126  by newpylong

Definitely.

Speaking of Geometry trains, it's on the PAS freight main now, slaughtering speeds. :)
 #1168169  by jaymac

Has the Geo no sense of decency? Aren't Track Speeds already an endangered species?
 #1168214  by pnolette

Maybe some new business coming this way soon?
 #1168240  by Dick H

With that High Iron PAR/PAS special running on April 13th,
PAR/PAS likely want to check for any major defects and
have time for some repairs.