Railroad Forums 

• NS in bergen county,no more?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #179119  by Steve F45

When i was a kid and rode my bike down to cp5 in ridgefield park to watch the trains and take some pics i used to see conrail all the time. I used to get sick of just seeing blue. Then as i got older and only really saw the trains from taking the school bus home and sitting in traffic on rt.46 draw bridge i started to see NS Black and white. For awhile i would see them, then slowly they were replaced with CSX blue and gold. Now its mainly CSX sometimes mixed with a UP or BNSF, but i have not seen a NS unit in years come out of north bergen and go north into new york.

But i've been driving around and going passed the yard in secaucus near secaucus junction and i always see NS units there and a few conrail units on occasion. Where do these units go? how come i never see them anywhere else?
 #179180  by n01jd1

This would be due to the split of Conrail between CSX and NS. NS got the Lehigh Line west of Port Reading Jct and the Southern Tier, CSX got the Riverline and the Trenton Line. The NS power you used to see on the Riverline was on SENS and NSSE, runthrough trains to NS from Conrail's Selkirk yard. After the split NS began to access New England via the D&H and Guilford.

2005Vdub wrote:When i was a kid and rode my bike down to cp5 in ridgefield park to watch the trains and take some pics i used to see conrail all the time. I used to get sick of just seeing blue. Then as i got older and only really saw the trains from taking the school bus home and sitting in traffic on rt.46 draw bridge i started to see NS Black and white. For awhile i would see them, then slowly they were replaced with CSX blue and gold. Now its mainly CSX sometimes mixed with a UP or BNSF, but i have not seen a NS unit in years come out of north bergen and go north into new york.

But i've been driving around and going passed the yard in secaucus near secaucus junction and i always see NS units there and a few conrail units on occasion. Where do these units go? how come i never see them anywhere else?
 #186315  by General

2005Vdub wrote:But i've been driving around and going passed the yard in secaucus near secaucus junction and i always see NS units there and a few conrail units on occasion. Where do these units go? how come i never see them anywhere else?
Some of the NS and Conrail units in the yard by Secaucus Transfer are used for local service on the NJ Transit lines. The rest are used for the road trains that run on Conrail Shared Assets to the NS Lehigh Line. On occasion you may see an NS unit or two on a CSX train heading towards North Bergen or Selkirk.

#187950  by Steve F45

well sunday while waiting for the e/b train to sec i saw the aquatrain pass thru then right afterwards there was w/b NS 5 unit set with a long freight load that passed thru rutherford at a pretty good clip. Engines were roaring at what sounded like full throttle.

#188113  by General

That was probably the NS H14. On sunday, they were taking cars up to Suffern and Campbell Hall for the NS H07, which did not run on sunday.

#188126  by Steve F45

It was pretty cool to see it at rutherford. The gates and bells went off and everybody was looking like, where is the train? It was close the 12:03 e/b everybody was waiting for. then out of nowhere you hear the roar coming up and just flying bye.

#225165  by BlockLine_4111

General wrote:That was probably the NS H14. On sunday, they were taking cars up to Suffern and Campbell Hall for the NS H07, which did not run on sunday.
Wouldn't it be more lucrative for NS to spin off these jobs to NYS&W?
I would think so. :wink:

#247001  by Steve F45

Whats teh frequency for the local H jobs? I have some conrail frequency that someone said was for croxton but i was near the conductor on a H job in rutherford and watched him talk into his mic and i didn't get it on my scanner i heard NS216 to northern and thats it.

#247021  by washingtonsecondary

Alot of times the H jobs use the CSAO frequencies. I know H02 does when they are in Washington.