Railroad Forums 

• ns hiring session

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#983293  by hook327

Josh, Heard anything yet?

Has anybody heard "good news" from NS ...after hearing nothing for weeks ,past the 3-5 days they claim they will contact you in ?

Ive been interviewed at two sessions in Knoxville and never heard a thing, good or bad
 #983716  by gp80mac

Railroad has 2 speeds:

wait and wait some more.

-or-

Hurry up, you need to get all this done by Tuesday!

They may have you waiting around for months, and then expect you to do 50 things in 2 days. Plus they wonder why they have such a hard time finding decent people.
 #985992  by hook327

Heading to session for conductor later this
week, is a suit over kill? I wore one last time i interviewed
 #987609  by THX 1138

Hook, did you get an interview? I posted in another thread about the NS Knoxville 9 NOV session.

My afterthought was dress like the managers do, jacket, button-down and khakis, in case you get an interview. I did not get an interview.

Wondering if anybody has insight into the multitasking questions. I might be looking at them in the wrong context. From my past, equipment/vehicles are always multitasking. Maybe they are talking about goofing off while you work, or doing some things halfway to get a lot of things half-done.
 #987822  by hook327

THX I went to the one in Chatanooga, and wore a suit, didnt get an interview this time..i believe the question was to make sure your are good with multi tasking..i answered all the questions exactly as before when i got an interview ..(blew. It last time) so im not sure what they look at.
 #988059  by THX 1138

hook327 wrote:THX I went to the one in Chatanooga, and wore a suit, didnt get an interview this time..i believe the question was to make sure your are good with multi tasking..i answered all the questions exactly as before when i got an interview ..(blew. It last time) so im not sure what they look at.
I was a little sloppy with my wording.
From an outsider perspective, to me working on a train seems quite linear. One task at a time, with many sub-tasks, but not multiple tasks that can be put off as new issues arise. Similar to a convoy movement, first everybody gets their vehicles ready, line up convoy, depart, some elements of convoy leave for other destinations, main body arrives, check everything and dismiss (over simplified for discussion's sake).

The questions like "does it bother you to be interrupted" come across to me as something I expect anyway, but no I don't like them to interfere with the task so I dislike them. I do prefer getting one thing at a time done and done right, but I know that is not a practical expectation.
 #988447  by hook327

@ THX did you recieve an email yet, just wondering because ive been to 3 different ones 2 were in knoxville and i never heard a word from them after interview and it wont let me reapply
 #988561  by THX 1138

hook327 wrote:@ THX did you recieve an email yet, just wondering because ive been to 3 different ones 2 were in knoxville and i never heard a word from them after interview and it wont let me reapply
Only email was from NS to invite me to the hiring session and I did not get an interview after I tested. Only one I have been to.