Railroad Forums 

• NS Harrisburg and Reading lines

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #450827  by tapper13

Hello all,

I am planning a photo trip from Philly up through Reading to Harrisburg, then back track through Reading to Allentown, then on through Bethlehem, Phillipsburg, Pattenberg and home to New York. I have found pretty detailed routes onlne to follow the tracks from from Reading to Harrisburg and Allentown to Pattenberg but have been less successful in finding detailed routes from Philly to Reading and from Reading to Allentown. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

#451116  by jgallaway81

For the Reading line from Reading to Allentown, do a google map search for "12th & Voltee". The double crossing is less then five miles from CP-Burn (the realistic entrance to Allentown Yard)

As for the RDG/Philli, most of the Harrisburg Line isn't near any major roads except where it crosses them.

Pottstown and Limerick are two towns that stick out in my mind from my time going to Morrisville. Unfortunately my quals east fo Allentown expire this november, so I can't be much more assistance.
 #451494  by tapper13

Thanks a lot for the info. I really appreciate it!

#465994  by Schuylkill Valley

Tapper,
If you ever get back this way, on the Harrisburg line. There are a lot of photo opps, From Reading to Philadelphia. In fact I could show you A lot of places to go that don't show up on an map.

Here's a video I took at Linfield this past summer.

Len.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qWyZh-_eDTo

#466501  by lakeshoredave

the line from reading to philly isn't as busy as people think. philly is more of a csx town than an ns town. stay out in allentown or reading if you want to see a lot of ns traffic.

#466505  by Schuylkill Valley

I live along the Harrisburg Line. We have around 20 trains through the day and more at night.

Len.

#468015  by nick_anshant

The Harrisburg Line (between Harrisburg and Reading) sees anywhere from 35-55 trains per day, depending on the day of the week and how many as needed trains run. For a complete schedule with origins, destinations, days of operations, and approximate times of operations, check out the NS page on my website linked below.

Nick
http://members.trainorders.com/nanshant

#468070  by Schuylkill Valley

Hey Nick, nice web site.
Do you know where I could get a listing of the old Conrail train symboles with the new ones?

Len.

#470437  by lakeshoredave

the harrisburg line sure is busy between harrisburg and reading. i saw some of the big e productions video from there, and it showed how busy the ns traffic is through there, plus they have gotten a lot of traffic off the csx this year from what i've heard.
 #471659  by tapper13

I want to thank everybody for all of the great info they provided for me. The trip went great. Because I did not have that much time, I skipped the Harrisburg line between Philly and Reading. This will have to wait for my next trip! Day one I worked from Reading to Harrisburg, beautiful weather and over 30 trains in daylight. Day two I spent the morning at Rockville Bridge and Enola then hopped on the turnpike back to Reading and shot there until sunset. I had never been to Rockville, and watching trains cross the bridge in the pre-dawn/sunrise as fog lifted off the river was an absolutely amazing experience. Day three took me from Reading to Allentown, ending the day photographing trains against the sunset as they pulled into Allentown yard. The weather was fantastic for the whole time but I must say three days was definitely not enough time for this trip. You could easily take a week (or more!) to cover these two lines fully. I can't wait to head back and shoot at some spots that I wish I could have had more time at. Len, I will definitely take you up on your offer to tag along with you on the Harrisburg Line between Philly and Reading. I found this part of the line the most dificult to get information on. Hopefully it won't be too long before I get a chance to go back. Thanks again Everybody!!!