• NS engineer promotions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by braves2905

Anybody know, where on the system, men are getting sent to engine school the quickest? I worked out of ATL and it was taking around 8 years.

by NSPeon

The youngest man in my LET class back in 04 had 5 years seniority...he was from Indiana somewhere........

by Anonymous881

In my class there was a guy who only had a few months but he was from Conrail. I had just under 3 years when I went.

by CIOR

It just varies. The last group I heard from this part had over 5 years ground time.
  by Off Pending

braves2905 wrote:Anybody know, where on the system, men are getting sent to engine school the quickest? I worked out of ATL and it was taking around 8 years.
It doesn't matter where you move to now. Due to a change in the selection process for LET school, your date is now determined when you are hired, not by the location you are working in.

It used to be that jumping terminals caused you to move up on the roster, ahead of other guys you may have hired with. Now, you might go to school ahead of other employees, but their date is guaranteed and they will fall back ahead of you on the engineer's roster even if you got promoted first.

by braves2905

Where do you work out of for the NS? I've never known of any terminal jumping down on the Georgia Division. Far as I knew, they hired you for one location, my case the Atlanta terminal, and you were stuck there for better or worse.

by Off Pending

braves2905 wrote:Where do you work out of for the NS? I've never known of any terminal jumping down on the Georgia Division. Far as I knew, they hired you for one location, my case the Atlanta terminal, and you were stuck there for better or worse.
Northern Region ... former CR.

by esprrfan

Where do you work out of for the NS? I've never known of any terminal jumping down on the Georgia Division. Far as I knew, they hired you for one location, my case the Atlanta terminal, and you were stuck there for better or worse.

Boy, They don't tell you guys anything down there. Even the Lake Div guys bump to Dearborn.

by braves2905

I could not be bumped by anybody outside of the atlanta terminal, and I couldnt bump anywhere else..

by Anonymous881

Wow that sucks!!! My seniority allows me to go to terminals in NJ, PA, MD, VA & DE. They broke the former CR up into two seniority districts, the other seniority district that I'm not in has a broader range of choices believe it or not. An example would be that a guy from North Jersey can exercise his seniority all the way out to Chicago if he wants.

by NS212

NSLET, what terminals can you go to in MD and VA?

Kevin

by Anonymous881

I'm Washington District Seniority Kevin. I can go to Baltimore, Hagerstown, Manassas and I believe Alexandria and Lynchburg.

by NS212

I live along the Hagerstown District in Front Royal. Have you gone down that way recently? I know some Harrisburg crews have been running 213 and 214 lately. My dad had to pilot them a few nights ago.

Kevin

by Anonymous881

Yes 212 I am qualified on the lurgan branch and was down there recently. I won't say which train I took down there as I don't want to be identified on this forum. But I will say this, I finally got to try a certain mexican place down there that I've always heard about and MAN IT WAS GOOD!!!! lol

by Off Pending

NSLET wrote:Yes 212 I am qualified on the lurgan branch and was down there recently. I won't say which train I took down there as I don't want to be identified on this forum. But I will say this, I finally got to try a certain mexican place down there that I've always heard about and MAN IT WAS GOOD!!!! lol
Is that you, Ken? lol