Railroad Forums 

• NS East Binghamton changes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1485632  by johnpbarlow

Based on seeing no sand towers in the attached Google Earth aerial photo of the East Binghamton Yard engine facility as of 5/13/15 (ie, prior to the September 2015 conveyance from CP to NS), I think CP took down the Guilford era sand towers.

And, based at looking at attached April 2002 and April 2006 Google Earth imagery, CP also demolished the DL&W-era yard tower seen in the background in your 1990 era photo.
Attachments:
EBY Engine Facility May 2015.JPG
EBY Engine Facility May 2015.JPG (235.62 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
EBY Engine Facility April 2002.JPG
EBY Engine Facility April 2002.JPG (219.8 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
EBY Engine Facility April 2006.JPG
EBY Engine Facility April 2006.JPG (230.71 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
 #1485653  by nydepot

Thanks. I knew knew the yard tower was gone, from Railpace or something. I didn't know the sand towers dated to a CP change.

I could be wrong but I know the D&H used those swing out style sand towers at all their locations and have not seen that type on other roads.
 #1485978  by newpylong

Those are Guilford era towers with heavy MEC heritage. Nearly identical exist at East Deerfield and Waterville yards. There is a single at Rigby. I'm not sure if Bangor had one etc. I dont remember seeing any at Mechanicville.
 #1485983  by nydepot

You can see old photos of the D&H at Wilkes-Barre, etc with those same towers. Maybe all the regional NE roads used them.
 #1486258  by KevinD

Those sand towers erected by Guilford in Conklin in the '85 shop makeover WERE the old D&H sand towers from Wilkes Barre. They were brought north on flat cars.
 #1486271  by nydepot

Explains a lot!
KevinD wrote:Those sand towers erected by Guilford in Conklin in the '85 shop makeover WERE the old D&H sand towers from Wilkes Barre. They were brought north on flat cars.