Railroad Forums 

• NS derailment at Silver Springs. 3/12

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#253  by thannon

I know it's not the newest of news, and the basic announcement was already given on Yahoogroups and Trainorders and such- but if you weren't aware (and for that matter are interested):

NS evidently derailed something near Silver Springs late Thursday night.

NS 205 and DH 167 were told they'd be turned back at Gang Mills and head East back to Bingo.

Tom H>

#1697  by charlie6017

Has anyone heard more of this derailment lately?
 #1736  by DutchRailnut

7 cars on ground at silver springs due to wheel failure on one car.
the train was the Bow coal train for Bow New Hampsire

#1901  by Farmer Joe

I heard that train go thru Darien that night and there was a car that had a wheel banging pretty loud. I could hear it from the house which is a mile from the tracks. Normally I don't hear the flat wheels at home, if so, they are very faint. This was some serious banging. It amazing it made it that far. If that was the bad wheel that caused the wreck.

Joe

#2666  by videobruce

11 or 14 cars depending on your source.

NS #206 detoured as a Z928 (or something like that) last night around 8pm east to Rotterdam Jct.

#3357  by Gandy-man

Silver Springs was a real mess and it took bringing in gangs and equipment from many other districts to bring back some normalcy :D

As usual the men of the BMWE did a marvelous and efficiant job. The whole ordeal was a supervisors nightmare with over 100 breaks and fractures. Now the Orgotherm field welders will spend many a day there turning it back into CWR. :P :wink:

#3461  by thannon

I'm sure that back-to-back incidents have them pretty well worn. Here's hope they don't have anymore.

Tom H>

#4058  by Farmer Joe

Caught the rail train near Warsaw, NY today. He was going to drop rail from Trusdell Rd on east. From what I've heard, 6 miles of rail was damamged from the broken wheel that caused the derailment. It appears that the south rail was damaged. I saw that it was "dented" in spots. It even looks like it was happening at the Rt 238 crossing in Attica. There was a "dent" visible as I crossed the tracks. Anyways, here is a link to some photos I took of the rail train. You may have to copy/paste it into your browser if the link isn't live.

Joe

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 1156732&f=

#4831  by thebigham

Trains have been going through Attica today.

I guess they are not working on the new rail yet?

I saw one of the CN trains this afternoon.

Chris