Railroad Forums 

• NS Conductor

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1417075  by Badger

Hello,

I recently applied for a conductor position with Norfolk Southern and am waiting eagerly to hear back. In the mean time I have some questions. How long after posting a job opening does NS conduct a hiring session?

How detailed is the physical? That's the only part I'm concerned about, as I have screws in my foot from a few years ago, and I'm also a bit overweight.
 #1417221  by saleens330

I've heard that there are a few that go and overweight. But I've heard that most of the ones that fail the hang test is overweight. Just find a way to practice hanging with one arm like most do.

For my physical, which it looks to be different for everyone/everywhere, they checked my blood pressure, weight, hair and pee sample, hearing test, eye test, color test, depth perception. Dr then came in and check my peripheral and said I was good. But be truthful on the medical questionnaire that you get from the initial medical email. If you don't put it and they check, they might pass you for lying. Especially if you don't and they call you and you still say no, definitely will be passed.

Just FYI, background for me was one page document and email back. Typical questions about felonies, arrested and such. Had to drive 2 hrs to the NS agent. He made a copy of my license and ss card. Looked for education degree. I filled out 5 pages of paperwork. This probably took 5-8 minutes and I was done.
 #1417885  by Tsmity09

Hey I am going for my medical exam for conductor very soon. They haven't sent me the paper work yet but I was wondering if they do any medical background check? Like can they see if I had a disease? And what does the paperwork look like that you fill out before you go. Are there any disqualifications other then the hearing, sight, color blind?
 #1417965  by Badger

Thanks of the reply saleens330. Does anyone know how long NS leaves job postings up? These were all posted on December 30th. Tsmity09, how long ago did you apply and when did you first hear back from them? Where did you apply?
 #1417970  by Tsmity09

I had my interview on 1-16-17. Last Monday. And I revived my offer the next day. I go for my in person background check on Tuesday.
 #1418116  by Badger

I applied in January. The job was posted on Dec 30th. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. And sounds like you've got it in the bag so congratulations to you.
 #1420450  by Badger

So I'm still waiting. I saw someone mentioned it took a month to get a reply. It's been about 5 weeks now and my applications still say "reviewing all applications". I kinda get the sense this is a hurry up and wait kind of thing?
 #1421385  by sarsnavy05

Interesting... I applied for a week after it was posted in July '16. They must not have needed many people because the position stayed up through December without changing. In January or so, the position was removed and my entire candidate profile with resumes and all was gone.
I'd say that unless you see a notification for a hiring session (open or invite) pop up, don't put all your eggs in that one basket.
-SAR
 #1421526  by Badger

Well I know what caused that. They upgraded their system in December. None of their old data (applications, job postings, profiles, ect) carried over to the new system.

I tried calling HR today but it simply dumps out to a message that says "we cannot answer any questions regarding application status"
 #1421800  by briandiana

I applied a 2 weeks ago for openings in Harrisburg and Allentown. Last week received an email to attend a interview in bith cities March 7 and 8.