Railroad Forums 

• NS Activity on the Lehigh Line (Philipsburg Area)

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #203224  by FireChaserE3

Hey All,

I'm trying to find some new railfanning spots, and was told that the Philipsburg area is a good one. I was also informed that the NS line that runs through this area is the Lehigh Line. Can anyone give me a general idea of the frequency that the trains run in this area on the weekends. Also, can anyone give me some good locations to shoot from?

Thanks.
:-D

#203412  by washingtonsecondary

http://www.railfanphillipsburg.com/

This is an excellent site for information on the Phillipsburg rail fan scene. Its not my site.

Just some personal observations from over a year railfaning P'burg/Easton.

1. Go Early. If you aren't there by 8 am, don't bother. The early trains (212, 214 & most other intermodal's) have the best power.

2. Don't expect a flood of trains. On a good Saturday you'll get anywhere from 6 to 10 trains from 6 am to around 1pm before it dies off until the evening. Sundays you can get H74 and H76 passing through town for local work.

3. There is nothing in the way of a set schedule. Seriously, this is a pet peve of mine. When guys pull into the PRRH site and ask when the next train is scheduled to come through and when I say I don't know, because there is no schedule, they get pissed off and tear @$$ out of there.

4. Don't tresspass, you'll figure the boundries out pretty fast.

The best spots are the PRRH site, the black bridge spanning the Lehigh Line and the former CNJ/DL&W Station parking lot next to the bridge. The website I gave will have directions and better discriptions of each site.

#204182  by EMD CR SD60I

I would recommend heading just west of Allentown on NS's Lehigh Line.. You can pick up a lot more train activity in places like Emmaus PA or Macungie where there is a railfan park located trackside...

Radio Freq is 161.070 ... Also - 160.800 has chatter in Allentown Yard.

Nights are usually busiest, After 2130 hrs in Macungie...

Hotels are located in Fogelsville - Along PA 100...

MaTT

EMD CR SD60I

#204383  by washingtonsecondary

EMD CR SD60I wrote:I would recommend heading just west of Allentown on NS's Lehigh Line.. You can pick up a lot more train activity in places like Emmaus PA or Macungie where there is a railfan park located trackside...

Radio Freq is 161.070 ... Also - 160.800 has chatter in Allentown Yard.

Nights are usually busiest, After 2130 hrs in Macungie...

Hotels are located in Fogelsville - Along PA 100...

MaTT

EMD CR SD60I
Thats the Reading Line.
 #204533  by FireChaserE3

Thanks!!! As soon as we get a nice weekend (being it's gonna rain this weekend) I'm gonna check it out. :-D