Railroad Forums 

• (not sure where to post) Two kids steal locomotive

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#410804  by toberborgan

This is a news article, and i'm not sure where the original source is. Pardon me, if this was the wrong place to post the topic....

It was 1:15 a.m., and the Great Train Robbery was under way.

In his home near the tracks in Nelsonville, Bill Evans, awakened by two blasts from the engine’s air horn, bolted out of bed.

The president and conductor of the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway knew one of his engines should not be running the tracks at that hour.

Two runaway boys with an apparent taste for super-size joy rides were at the controls of the dark blue, 125-ton locomotive with yellow stripes. They were headed for Logan.

[snip-ov]

#410868  by DutchRailnut

very old news incident happened months ago and kids are already convicted. the incident took place on : Thursday, January 18, 2007

#410900  by Otto Vondrak

You cannot post entire articles from another site, they are copyrighted works. You must tell us where the article came from and post a link back to the original. Thanks!

-otto-

#411193  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sounds like a newhire Conrail conductor, from back in 1989, who got tired of waiting his call, to Choo-Choo U, and went "joyriding" on the Bayonne branch, attempting to hone his skills. The folks in the houses, wondered why an engine was running back and forth, behind their houses for an hour, with only one person on board. Somehow he kept his job (thanks, Joe Bennedetto!!!) and might actually be running today. :P

#411799  by conrail_engineer

Link HERE.

QUESTION: How could they be charged with "theft," since the locomotive never left the railroad property? Seems the most authorities could get them on is trespass, and FRA rules violations.

#414965  by Robert Paniagua

I cant believe they decided to take a locomotive for a joyride, although this is nothing new. I wonder if they managed to stay in the mainline for the nest 10 hours...