Railroad Forums 

• Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1593001  by Silverliner II

mcgrath618 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:47 pm Not guilty.

https://abc7ny.com/philadelphia-amtrak- ... /11619333/
Thank goodness!! As it should be. It never should have come to this in the first place.
 #1593002  by Silverliner II

west point wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:01 am Second guilty person was Amtrak not activating ATC cab 60 speed at signal before Frankford going northbound. but it was active going south. Remember PRR had an overspeed crash there during WW-2
If a GG-1 could do it most certainly a Sprinter would!
Speaking of that, it's been said here and elsewhere that at one time, a cab signal drop was in place in the eastward direction as well, but at some point it was removed. Nobody seems to know when it was removed, whether it was in the PRR era, under PC control, or under Amtrak control after 1976.

Of course, ACSES now makes that question moot, and it would not have made a difference that fateful night, but I sure wonder when. Because I never knew a cab drop was in that direction at one time. It sure wasn't there when I was qualifying in the late 1990's.
 #1593011  by nkloudon

This may be untrue, but I read somewhere that the automatic train stop system installed by PRR in the 1930's was deactivated by Amtrak higher-ups because they feared that an accidental sudden stop would be "disturbing" to passengers.
 #1593012  by Silverliner II

nkloudon wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:43 pm This may be untrue, but I read somewhere that the automatic train stop system installed by PRR in the 1930's was deactivated by Amtrak higher-ups because they feared that an accidental sudden stop would be "disturbing" to passengers.
Only in the spot that I'm referring to... that's what I'm talking about too. The ATS system itself had never been deactivated, just a cab signal drop related to it in the eastward direction at that location. Otherwise, it has always been intact.
 #1593037  by ExCon90

west point wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:01 am Second guilty person was Amtrak not activating ATC cab 60 speed at signal before Frankford going northbound. but it was active going south. Remember PRR had an overspeed crash there during WW-2
Someone pointed out awhile back that overspeed was not involved in the WWII wreck; it was equipment failure, either a wheel or an axle on one of the cars.
 #1593054  by Silverliner II

ExCon90 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:20 pm
Someone pointed out awhile back that overspeed was not involved in the WWII wreck; it was equipment failure, either a wheel or an axle on one of the cars.
Yep, that one was a burned-off journal.
 #1593163  by Gilbert B Norman

There's plenty of rightful sympathy for the victims in the opening pages of the topic.

The sympathy for Mr. Bostrian shown here is that this "Inspector Javert" just simply "wouldn't let go". Fortunately in this country an appeal of a verdict can only be made by the defense. "Javerts" simply could not let go of that girl from Seattle who was accused of murdering her roommate.

All Mr. Bostrian wanted to do in this life was operate passenger trains in accordance with the Rules. That opportunity is lost forever. Maybe he can still operate some Xmas shopping mall display somewhere.