• North Carolina NCDOT-Amtrak Piedmont Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 574 posts
  by scratchyX1

jthomas wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:44 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am Who here might know the status of the Roanoke River bridge?

It's of course out of service, but is it standing?

It would seem that some interest group ought to dig into the Army Corps of Engineers pocket to rebuild it withdouble track - or start anew; after all they "dammed up" the River (not questioning the public benefit) - and their budget is simply a line item in the Defense Department's - and who'd miss a "couple of hundred" M out of that? :P :P
The bridge is still standing - I just drove past it this weekend. The piers and girders are clearly visible from the I-85 crossing of Lake Gaston.
still there.
http://bridgehunter.com/va/mecklenburg/ ... ke-gaston/
  by Gilbert B Norman

You beat me to it, Mr. Scratchy.

I was all set to post that same link!!!!

Oh well, what counts is it's there for ready review to all following this topic.

Who knows how structurally sound it is; those photos are not exactly any kind of measurement. Further, it is only single track, which if you are to realize Richmond-Raleigh HSR, two are needed. This could prove a formidable barrier to implementing this service - let alone rebuilding the pre-existing line Petersburg-Norlina to FRA Class 6 (not sure, but I'd be surprised if Norlina-Raleigh is higher than Class 3).
  by jthomas

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:31 am You beat me to it, Mr. Scratchy.

I was all set to post that same link!!!!

Oh well, what counts is it's there for ready review to all following this topic.

Who knows how structurally sound it is; those photos are not exactly any kind of measurement. Further, it is only single track, which if you are to realize Richmond-Raleigh HSR, two are needed. This could prove a formidable barrier to implementing this service - let alone rebuilding the pre-existing line Petersburg-Norlina to FRA Class 6 (not sure, but I'd be surprised if Norlina-Raleigh is higher than Class 3).
I could be wrong about this, but I believe that the last time I read the EIS, the plan is for the line to be single-track, with several long sidings (maybe ~10 miles each?). So the single-track bridge can be worked around. The proposed frequency of service is not high enough to require full double track at this time.
  by west point

All is needed is to make the piles and bents wide enough to make the line 2 MT in the future. Once a decision is made to add second track over the bridge is to drop in the rail holding bridging.

The Engineers doing the bridge enables them to determine when to lower the lake to reduce costs.