Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk v North Jersey: Who Gets More Containers

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#426177  by Sir Ray

lakeshoredave wrote:A railfan the other night told me that Norfolk gets as many containers as North Jersey these days? How true is this?
Well, not quite (1st Half 2006 numbers):
Los Angeles (4,620,000 TEU; +10.2% growth);
Long Beach (4,110,000 TEU; +10.5% growth);
New York/New Jersey (2,100,000 TEU; +10% growth);
Oakland (1,360,000 TEU; +7.8% growth);
Vancouver (1,230,000 TEU; +25% growth);
Savannah (1,210,000 TEU; +15.1% growth);
Tacoma (1,160,000 TEU; +3.6% growth);
Charleston (1,150,000 TEU; -1.4% growth);
Seattle (1,120,000 TEU; -3.7% growth),
Virginia (1,110,000 TEU; +5.2% growth).

New York/NJ would include PA of NY/NJ (North Jersey & Howland Hook, Staten Island);
Virginia: Virgina Port Authority, includes Norfolk, Portsmouth, Newport News and the Virginia 'Inland Port' in Warren County.

I realized this is International Container traffic - I haven't found anything counting domestic traffic, which would include, say, railing a container from say Chicago to Newark, and then trucking it to Long Island...

#426264  by lakeshoredave

Thanks for info....I figured that the North Jersey ports still had more traffic than the Commonwealth of VA did.

#427175  by SecaucusJunction

NJ has the largest ports on the East coast, which is why NS and CSX had no idea what to do when they split Conrail 8 years ago. They only knew how to run slow moving coal trains.

#435905  by NS212

Supposedly the new Maersk terminal that is nearing completion in Norfolk, VA will be the largest container terminal on the east coast. I'm not sure how accurate that info is though. Got it from my dad (engineer for NS). Not sure how much more traffic that will put thru Norfolk. Probably not enough to beat NJ.

#436714  by GOLDEN-ARM

Fuhgeddabowdit. Nobody beats Jersey. :P

#445479  by FireChaserE3

The new APM (Maersk) terminal in Norfolk will definately add many more containers into Norfolk. I work for Maersk's corporate office in NJ and I will try to find out what is projected to come in at that terminal. I think we have it in a newsletter somewhere at work. :-D