Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern hiring events

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1351515  by mitchromley

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of information about the open hiring events that Norfolk Southern routinely holds. I have applied for a Conductor position at NS but have heard that these events are a bit faster. My first question is, are they regional or specific to jobs at that location? For example, I live in the Piedmont area of North Carolina and have applied at the Linwood, NC location. If I go to the hiring fair in Columbia, SC, will it cover my area? I know of a guy who went from Charlotte to one in Manassas, VA and got hired for Linwood but I just want to be as sure as possible before going down there. Also, is it okay to go to one if you've already applied? I know they say you don't have to have applied to go to one, but will they turn you away if you've already applied?

Anyway, assuming I can/should go to it, what should I expect? I've read all about the presentation designed to scare you away, I've read about not having your cell phone out and talking about safety as much as possible. I plan to dress nicely, be attentive, and take good notes. What other ways can I prepare myself so that I can be successful? Can anyone offer pointers on the assessment test, or common questions they ask in the interviews? Can anyone suggest questions I can ask them in the interview that will further me as a candidate? Really, any information is welcome. I want to be as well prepared as possible so I can land a position with them.

Thanks so much!