Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Heritage Units.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1027734  by MEC407

I'm not a gambling man, but who wants to bet that the PC unit will be the first to derail? :P
 #1027737  by ns3010

MEC407 wrote:I'm not a gambling man, but who wants to bet that the PC unit will be the first to derail? :P
All I can say is :-)
 #1027740  by scottychaos

ns3010 wrote:Sick! Hoping they send it out the Lehigh Line sometime!

Also, a 19th heritage unit has been added! An additional GEVO will be painted as a Penn Central unit:
http://www.nscorp.com/nscorphtml/images ... cos/PC.jpg
well..the drawing alone is not evidence that there will be a PC unit..
that could have been up on the webpage for months, from the beginning of the heritage project when it was perhaps "under consideration"
and someone just discovered it hiding there..
Is there more to the PC rumor besides the drawing? anything recent in writing?
Scot
 #1027745  by ns3010

scottychaos wrote:

Also, a 19th heritage unit has been added! An additional GEVO will be painted as a Penn Central unit:
that could have been up on the webpage for months, from the beginning of the heritage project when it was perhaps "under consideration"
Scot
As far as I know, the PC unit was not with the other 18 when the initial press release and images went online. This seems to be a recent addition.
 #1027746  by SR4501

Conrail 8098 as of today 3/15 is scheduled to be picked up by train 11A and taken to conway to be put in service
 #1027749  by terminalfanatic

Apparently NS has decided that a Penn Central heritage engine will indeed be added to the roster...according to the PCHS on there Facebook page, and the Altoona Work on there FB page as well.

What they said...
"NS has announced that they're doing a Penn Central Heritage Unit after all. It'll be a GE ES44AC painted in house. It'll most likely be painted in Altoona, but you never know."
 #1027771  by ns3010

Full roster shot, not mine:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

She's beautiful! I'm glad that NS is sticking to more accurate paint schemes, and they did a pretty good job here. The number on the cab seems to be the standard NS numbers, and it has "NS" under the number (just like a patch job), but, other than that, looks good to me!
 #1027792  by blockline4180

terminalfanatic wrote:Apparently NS has decided that a Penn Central heritage engine will indeed be added to the roster...according to the PCHS on there Facebook page, and the Altoona Work on there FB page as well.

What they said...
"NS has announced that they're doing a Penn Central Heritage Unit after all. It'll be a GE ES44AC painted in house. It'll most likely be painted in Altoona, but you never know."

What????? No EL unit, but they decided after all to do a PC unit??? Ummm okay! << Shakes head!
 #1027837  by scottychaos

blockline4180 wrote:
terminalfanatic wrote:Apparently NS has decided that a Penn Central heritage engine will indeed be added to the roster...according to the PCHS on there Facebook page, and the Altoona Work on there FB page as well.

What they said...

What????? No EL unit, but they decided after all to do a PC unit??? Ummm okay! << Shakes head!
well..they are doing a DL&W *and* a Erie unit! :)
so no real need for a redundant EL unit.. << doesn't shake head.

Scot
 #1027873  by blockline4180

scottychaos wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:

What they said...

well..they are doing a DL&W *and* a Erie unit! :)
so no real need for a redundant EL unit.. << doesn't shake head.

Scot
Yes, just like they are doing a NYC and PRR unit!!! LOL
 #1027886  by ns3010

ns3010 wrote:
scottychaos wrote:

Scot
As far as I know, the PC unit was not with the other 18 when the initial press release and images went online. This seems to be a recent addition.
Ok, now it's official.

NS put out a press release this morning about the first heritage unit to hit the rails, 8098 "Conrail." It also announces that a Penn Central unit has been added to the 18, and it will be an "SD70Ace to be painted at Progress Rail Services’ facility in Muncie, Ind." Meanwhile, the "original" Norfolk Southern unit has been changed to an ES44AC, to make room for the PC unit.

The press release also includes "the official" NS photo of 8098 (you can click it to enlarge). Here's a link to the article:
http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/ ... l_out.html
Last edited by ns3010 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1027920  by MEC407

Gorgeous.

I just wish they'd do something about that gaping hole in the nose where nose-mounted headlights would otherwise have been.
 #1027977  by terminalfanatic

So now that the Conrail engine has rolled out are we too assume they are going backwards in history...and that the Penn Central engine would be next? Or perhaps in alphabetical order but if that were the case Central of Georgia would be first & Central Railroad of New Jersey would be second. Or perhaps a complete curve ball and the next one may be totally random.
 #1027997  by NSDash9

NS 8099, the Southern Railway heritage unit, should be next, as it is nearing completion at the NS paint shop in Chattanooga, TN. Then the next two will be the N&W unit (painted by NS at Altoona, PA) and the Central of Georgia unit (painted by NS at Chattanooga).

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com
Also visit the NSDash9 facebook page for the latest updates.