Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern employment process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#578945  by nhsgilpen2007

I just got an invite for a Norfolk Southern Recruiting session for Friday in Gallipolis Ohio. The job i applied for for Norfolk Southern is in Nitro WV. What is the hiring process going to be like. Is it going to be fast or will it take about a month befor I hear if i get a job or not. Another thing is for a track Laborer it says I will be traveling 6-10 days a month. Is this accurate or is it more like 20 some days a month. Another thing is will i stay in my location where i work at or will i travel all the time. What are the hours like is is 4-10's or 8-5's. I do know it is a labor intensive job and trust me i have been in labor intensive jobs and i do know i will be on call . Another thing is will i have to go to there trainin session in Georgia or will i have my own training session here. Sorry about all the questions but i just want to know what it might be like befor i commit 100% to it. Thanks alot everyone for your help and time and God Bless you.
 #579284  by nhsgilpen2007

I have searched all threads here no joke did find some interesting information that would help me but none really about the Norfolk Southern Track Laborer. 2 different posts from different people one was a track laborer foreman and idk know if the other guy was a worker or not but yes I would like something from someone who is a worker right now or has gone to a recruiting session for track laborers please and ty.
 #581202  by railnewbie77

I've been a track laborer with NS for a little over a year. I work on a "section" gang and I am home every night. We work 4 10s at my location. But I think that varies depending on your location, some places work 5 8s. The potential for travel is there, depending the needs in your general work area. If there is a major project going on, you might be on the road some. But 6-10 days a month is probably an exaggeration, you likely will not be travelling that much. The work can be hard...some days you work like a dog others are very light. You might not be doing much of anything if the train traffic is heavy that day and you can't get track time. The job, like most jobs really depends on who you are working with. My advice would be to take the job and give it shot. There is a lot to learn and it takes a good while to get used to so don't be discouraged if you don't like it at first. Give it 6 months to a year before you consider trying something else.

If the position is on a "travelling" gang...then you will be on the road all the time. But it doesn't sound like it if they said 6-10 days a month.
 #581257  by oldschool

The section gangs in the northeast work 5 8s. I hired to a production gang and traveled as far as south Ga.
Work back in a section gang now 5 8s. It depends on what they are hiring for as to how much you travel some guys hire to section gangs and get bumped and have to go to a production gang others can hold at a section gang. I would recommend you give it a shot while it is not for everyone the pay and benifits are good. Railnewbie is right some days you sit alot others you go like hell.
 #740410  by matawanaberdeen

Aviator628 wrote:Would this be a good way to move up to conductor and engineer? And being the new guy, would be I stuck working nights or do the hours shift around?
Um from what information I can gather it is a great place to start and move up to conductor and then Locomotive Engineer. Yes no matter what craft you start in your going to work the worst shifts and worst hours. Like all new jobs your the lowest man on the totem pole. That's life at the bottom at almost any 24 hour a day shift job. JC
 #740419  by jz441

Aviator628 wrote:Would this be a good way to move up to conductor and engineer? And being the new guy, would be I stuck working nights or do the hours shift around?
That all depends on the railroad... Some railroads allow "craft trasfers" and give current employees the priority, while other RR's don't.
As far as the hours, that also depends on the railroad... Here at BNSF track folks work day shifts MO-FRI with holidays off, except in emergencies.
 #744137  by matawanaberdeen

Aviator628 wrote:Is it competative to become a track laborer? And if you do not get hired to you have to wait 6 months to apply for that position or any other position with the railroad?
I wouldn't think its terrible competitive but with the economy this way it is now I bet. If you don't get hired just keep applying that's what I was told. I have applied to NJ Transit about 15 times since last November and have 2 apps ready to go in. JC
 #746717  by Aviator628

Are you pretty much garunteed to be forloughed in the winter time? Or does it vary upon location? And does the railroad put you in another position during that time or are you on your own until they call you back?
 #746818  by COEN77

Nothing is gaurenteed. It's based on seniority. Track worker is a more secure job than transportation. The track always needs repairing. Location plays a big part northern states in winter time less work compared to warmer climates in the south. Furloughs come with the territory.