Railroad Forums 

• No Thump No Dump

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#639888  by Jtgshu

Here's some food for thought.........hopefully it will be overturned............

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/18/drunk. ... index.html
According to Dibble's lawyer, Andrew Smiley, NYC Transit rather than Dibble bore primary responsibility for the accident because the subway driver had time to stop the train but did not.
""They (the motorman) don't get a free pass as to why the person was on the tracks. They are trained to be able to look out for people on the tracks ... and people are known to be intoxicated by night," the lawyer said."
The article also states that his blood alcohol level was .18 (more than 2x the legal limit) - it also said that the amputee was 35% responsible for the accident - so they reduced his award compensation from 3.6 million to about 2.3 million dollars.
 #640203  by Tracer

Jtgshu wrote:Here's some food for thought.........hopefully it will be overturned............

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/18/drunk. ... index.html
According to Dibble's lawyer, Andrew Smiley, NYC Transit rather than Dibble bore primary responsibility for the accident because the subway driver had time to stop the train but did not.
""They (the motorman) don't get a free pass as to why the person was on the tracks. They are trained to be able to look out for people on the tracks ... and people are known to be intoxicated by night," the lawyer said."
The article also states that his blood alcohol level was .18 (more than 2x the legal limit) - it also said that the amputee was 35% responsible for the accident - so they reduced his award compensation from 3.6 million to about 2.3 million dollars.

So all i have to do is get drunk, put my leg on the track, and i can get 2.3 million? What a country.
 #643601  by LYconductor

It's a total catch 22 situation. But for the most part it's true. If somebody is looking to collect the Darwin Award well by all means the rr track is a good place to win it.
 #647817  by Georgia Railroader

I once heard an old engineer say ''If you have to think about it, you've waited too long." But every situation is different. I came literally a few feet from hitting a log truck at 35 mph. I was puckered up tighter than a frog's butt and white as a ghost. We shot it, and at the last second the truck got clear. I've had more close calls than I can count, but luckyily have not hit anyone.........Yet.
 #647852  by RussNelson

LYconductor wrote:It's a total catch 22 situation. But for the most part it's true. If somebody is looking to collect the Darwin Award well by all means the rr track is a good place to win it.
Except that the "accidents" are so uncreative that they've prohibited railroad-related deaths from getting awards.
 #661275  by toolmaker

the proceeding message was brought to you by?
 #661327  by BR&P

It was spam and was deleted by the administrators