Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#129530  by Lirr168

I posted about it on the LIRR forum. Fox 5 news ran it as a headline story tonight @ 6. While there is no photo or video ban, MTA Police/NYPD still "reserve the right to aggressivley question those taking pcitures on property." 'Tis a small victory...

#132053  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

So the photo ban is dead, eh? Don't tell that to a 13 year old nephew of mine. He was riding on the IND this past weekend, was in the lead car of a train, looking out the window with his small video cam. The train operator, seeing him with the video cam, notified her supervisor. The train operator told him that he could be arrested. So much for no photo ban.

#138202  by Silverliner II

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:So the photo ban is dead, eh? Don't tell that to a 13 year old nephew of mine. He was riding on the IND this past weekend, was in the lead car of a train, looking out the window with his small video cam. The train operator, seeing him with the video cam, notified her supervisor. The train operator told him that he could be arrested. So much for no photo ban.
I'd suggest that operator read up on Section 1050.9, Item C of the MTA Code Of Conduct. She'd be in for a shock.

That being said, a friend of mine, his girlfriend, and myself came up from Philly back on Thursday (6-16) to do some filming in the subway to wrap up a video I've been working on for the past two years.

We filmed for almost an hour of the evening rush at the 42nd Street/Times Square station. We started on the N/Q/R/W downtown platform. After about 20 minutes, it was off to the 1/2/3 uptown platform (missed the 9 by almost a month, darn it!) where we filmed in full view of an MTA employee doing time checks or counts on the trains. After about 25 minutes there, we moved to the A/C/E downtown platform and did video for another 20 minutes or so.

We did not do any filming on the Shuttle platforms or the 7 platform, as I was running out of tape and time. Then, word of a meltdown on Amtrak and SEPTA in Philly came in on my cell phone, and we decided to start home so we could get as far as we could before we got stranded enroute)

Amazingly enough, we were not challenged by anybody in authority. I was quite suprised, actually. Had we been asked to move along, we would have gone quietly, but not without showing them the copy of the above noted section of the MTA Code of Conduct that permits filming (minus lights and tripod, which I do not use).

All in all, a good time had by us all. I just wish I could say the same for my NJ Transit experience last year, even armed with proper documentation at the time.

#138275  by Robert Paniagua

Same here, I have filmed out the front windows (even in full-cab cars) and never been "pulled-over" or reported either, only in MNRR I have, but not this subway system. Although I do my best to hide the camera to decrease the chance I get reported.

Also, I rather only videotape when we get out to the surface, since there's nothing fun underground anyways.