Railroad Forums 

• No More NMED/ RUED/ WAED?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1041128  by GuilfordRailSD45

As a District 2 railfan (I railfan primarily between Newmarket, NH and Plaistow, NH), I was just wondering what has happened to several of the freights that used to come through. Back only a few years ago, I would hear of trains NMED, RUED, WAED, POED, POSE, and all of their eastbound counterparts all coming through town. Nowadays, it seems like the only trains coming through are SEPO/ POSE and POED/ EDPO... On a good day, I only ever see two freights. So my question is, what happened to NMED, RUED, WAED, and their eastbound counterparts?
 #1041180  by roberttosh

Those trains you mentioned that used to run through Portland now get switched out at Portland, hence the "PO" designation on those trains you see. One train that seemed to be running on a fairly regular basis that I haven't heard about for a while is the WAAY/AYWA set. Am guessing most of that traffic is now running on the other two pairs of trains.
 #1041250  by KSmitty

To expand a bit, RUED now runs as RUPO from Rumford Maine to Rigby. traffic from the Rumford and Jay mills is sorted and sent west on either POED or POSE for NS or CSX interchange. Other symbols have followed similar changes, NMED becomes NMPO which then gets sorted into blocks on POED or POSE, WAED becomes WAPO and gets sorted into blocks for POSE or POED. These changes seem to trace back to PAS, and having to deal with paying NS 50% to use EDFLD Yd.
 #1043166  by GuilfordRailSD45

Ah ok, that makes sense. Well, as unfortunate as that may be for a railfan who's looking for trains, it certainly seems to make sense in the business aspect. Hopefully traffic will rise in the future and then maybe a few more trains will be needed.

Thanks for the replies.
 #1043179  by KSmitty

On the topic of lost symbols is there still a POMO or some other Portland to D4 interchange point train or does everything get dealt with at ED?
 #1043218  by cpf354

To my knowledge there is no POMO or any other Portland to Mohawk or Rotterdam through freights, and no District 4 either- that was taken over by District 3 some time ago.
 #1043219  by newpylong

No, POMO hasn't been around for half a decade but there is a POED (it;s the only westbound through freight now). District 4 has also been gone roughly since Pan Am Southern was formed.
 #1043229  by KSmitty

I know D4 has been gone for a while, but old habits die hard...
Thanks for the info on symbols!
 #1043329  by newpylong

I know, I will always remember it as D4 as well. You never know, if things get busy enough you might see all of D4 be PAS like D3 is now...
 #1043354  by jaymac

Seems like that could send the Kitty Cat into a hissy-fit. Just the thought of the Pony getting preference for moves in and around Ayer might be unpleasant.