Railroad Forums 

• no horn

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#292514  by Rail Liner

Today I was watching the M&E at Troy hills rd. in wippany and realized number 21 it had no horn. instead they stand up and blow a horn that sounds like a toy wistle. It seems so strange!

#292601  by mountie17

Actually they do have a horn/whistle. On the B end it has a single chime Airchime M-type Horn and on the other side of the cab it has a Hancock Air Whistle complete with a Deflector. These are quite rare, and are now collector' s items. They could be found on NH FL9's, EP-5's, NH Rdc's, etc.

#292901  by Rail Liner

I to wondered it did soud like weak hancock, but I think the problem lies with m horn and the nathon was so weak it is a hazard.

#292911  by Rail Liner

We don't want anothor essex steam train or metro link again so they should fix it

#293016  by mountie17

Sounded fine during the 3pm trip. I personally like it. It is a nice change from the constant K5LA's I here all of the time. Although a Leslie S5T would be wild.

#293064  by RS115

Much as the New Haven style horn is a novelty and not unpleasant I agree it is not up to present day standards of affording warning/protection at a crossing. I've heard them use the regular horn on occassion as well so I imagine it depends on their comfort zone at a particular crossing.

#293171  by GOLDEN-ARM

You know, there's nothing quite as sweet, as the blaring "BAMP", from a nice set of M-3's............. :-D

#293385  by EDM5970

RS-1 15 is correct; I was advised several years ago, by a gent that has signed many a cab card, that the Hancock 4700 is not generally loud enough to satisfy FRA requirements.

Aside from the lack of dB, do you think that any of today's cellphone- using, sound system-blasting drivers are going to associate the sound of a device designed to sound like a steam locomotive whistle with a present day train, even at a grade crossing? I imagine not-

They sound great, when supplied with enough air volume, (more than most air horns), but for use at public crossings, there is just too much liability involved in using one.