Railroad Forums 

• NKP in Ohio City

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#724  by MR77100

Mike-
I can tell you alot about this. The NKP line was the "Clover Leaf" mainline that went from Toledo to St. Louis. It was originally known as the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western, and parts were actually narrow gauge until the 20th century. The line was torn up between Douglas, OH and Grand Rapids in 1975. NS leased the Douglas to Marion segment to the Indiana Hi-Rail shortline in 1989. I understand they ran a pair of grain trains once a week each way on the line with Alco C420's. I never saw a train on it however. and every time I visited Ohio City, the line was in the weeds. I remember there in 1997, and the line was heavily overgrown, and during the summer of 1998, the line was torn up all the way to Craigville, IN. The segment from Craigville to Warren is now operated by the Wabash Central.

Indiana Hi-Rail also operated the EL line in Ohio City using the connecting track there. They had tekn over for the Spencerville & Elgin. This lasted for 2 years until 1993. For many years, 2 Alcos sat on the east side of town, bracketed by a boxcar. One was Alco S$ #653, the only engine to be seen in SPEG pain. I believe they were scrapped on site. The CN line was actually used by the Spencerville & Elgin from Rockford, OH north Van Wert until 1982 when the lease ran out. There once was a triangle of diamonds around the depot in Ohio City. Ohio City is now down to one railroad, and it soon my have none as RJ Corman has not run to Ohio City in some time. Hope this helps.
 #1739  by dti406

The Toledo Lake Erie and Western was not the Cloverleaf. The Cloverleaf was properly called the Toledo St. Louis and Western and went from Toledo, Ohio to East St. Louis, Illinois.

The Toledo Lake Erie and Western went from Sandusky, Ohio to Peoria, Illinois with another line from Indianapolis to Michigan City, Indiana.

Both of these roads were abosrbed by the NKP in 1923, please see the NIckle Plate Story for the relevant details.

Lets get the Railroad Names correct and were they went.

Rick
 #1761  by railohio

dti406 wrote:
Lets get the Railroad Names correct and were they went.
Pot calling the kettle black... It was just the "Lake Erie & Western" that ran west from Sandusky. The Toledo, Lake Erie & Western is a tourist line that runs on the former Clover Leaf line from Grand Rapids to Waterville.

#402331  by bub-ole

first off im a 16 year old now and i lived in Ohio City for 12-13 years and i remember just how many lines ran through this small town and to this day i still remember seeing the big red RJ Cormans roll past my house alot of good memories in this small town and the railroad is one of them. now on the other hand i see RJ Corman all the time now that i live in Celina and live a couple blocks from the layups.do you have anymore pictures of the old lines because i only remeber them from around the 95-2002 period and have always wondered where these went. thanks