Railroad Forums 

• NKP bridge over IC in Chicago

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#974598  by terry03

In 1915 the Nickel Plate Railroad built a bridge over the Illinois Central at Grande Crossing in Chicago near E. 75th Street. They built it next to the NYC & PRR which were also built across the IC. The NYC & PRR bridge was built in 1911. This was part of the Illinois Centrals elimination of all grade crossings in the Chicago area.

My question is. Do you know who built the Nickel Plate Bridge and also do you know who built the NYC & PRR bridges? Bates & Rogers Construction Corporation out of Chicago built almost all of the IC at grade crossings in the Chicago area and suburbs for 50 miles. It makes sense that they probably built the other bridges also. Its possible that the IC paid for the construction of this bridge. I doubt it though.

My interest is due to the fact that five generations of my family worked for Bates & Rogers and my grandfather was working for them in this time period.

Moderator's note: The same message is also posted under Norfolk & Western, VGN, WAB, NKP, P&WV, ACY, IT. Please direct any replies there. This topic is locked here.