Railroad Forums 

• NJTransit Normal Schedule Resumption

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1496105  by Yankees1

Any word on when the normal schedule will be restored? I imagine they will introduce the cut trains in reverse order of when they cut them (Restore RVL direct and AC line before restoring the rest of the NJCL Hoboken trains)
 #1497040  by EuroStar

As per the governor and NJT, the FRA has to sign off on some of the engines that have had PTC installed before they can be operated again. Until then they will gather rust due to the federal shutdown. My money is that even if the shutdown ends tomorrow, the current schedule will continue throughout February.
 #1497408  by lensovet

EuroStar wrote:As per the governor and NJT, the FRA has to sign off on some of the engines that have had PTC installed before they can be operated again. Until then they will gather rust due to the federal shutdown. My money is that even if the shutdown ends tomorrow, the current schedule will continue throughout February.
NJT has explicitly stated that the shutdown is not affecting them in any way and FRA inspectors are considered essential personnel who are still working.
 #1497527  by EuroStar

lensovet wrote:NJT has explicitly stated that the shutdown is not affecting them in any way and FRA inspectors are considered essential personnel who are still working.
Yep, with the caveat that they have said the opposite too at least per the media, for example, here https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transport ... aily-tasks. At this point my money is on a delay in the restoration, especially on the AC line, but I hope I am wrong. Maybe partial restoration of the cancelled trains on the NEC and the other busy lines with the Raritan trains to NYC and the AC line delayed further, but really, who knows ... My guess will be as good as yours on this.
 #1498183  by EuroStar

It is a week before February 1 when the schedule is supposed to be reverted back, but they have not published new schedules or announced anything. In the past how early would they publish the revised schedules?
 #1498203  by jamesinclair

No date given, but it is coming back.

"NJ Transit will restore rail service on the Atlantic City Line in the spring, the agency said Friday.

The agency had temporarily suspended trains between Philadelphia and Atlantic City in September in an effort to meet federal safety requirements by the end of 2018.

NJ Transit will extend the 25 percent discount on alternative bus service it has offered since September for Atlantic City riders until rail service is restored."

Full article:
https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 677511002/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having the line closed for a few months allowed NJT to upgrade the line to full automated driverless operation with 30 minute headways right?
 #1498254  by pumpers

New Jersey Transit: Dinky train (Princeton branch) service won’t resume until spring (or later)
https://planetprinceton.com/2019/01/25/ ... il-spring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Further, Alexander Rd, the route of the replacement bus service and 1 of the 2 roads between Princeton and Princeton junction (the Dinky endpoints) shuts down completely later this year for an extended time for major bridge replacements, with utility work and partial daytime shutdowns and detours starting next month already. The bus already often has major delays and overcrowding.
A major screw-up all around, to put it mildly.

EDIT: I feel sorry for the mid-level managers who have to get the trains out and staffed and in service every day (probably a non-stop juggling and high-wire act), and save my ire for the big shots that feathered the nest at the top with their political cronies and paybacks rather than hiring the best person for the job. This is what results...
 #1498271  by MACTRAXX

Pumpers:

Add your post about the status of the Dinky to the "New Dinky to Nassau Street" topic which has
been dormant since January 14. This will revive the discussion there...

I was not aware that the Princeton Shuttle train operation has been shut down and replacement
bus service is being operated. Thanks for this information and the PP link...MACTRAXX
 #1498596  by EuroStar

No matter what they say, the reality is that there are not enough engineers to run the full schedule up in North Jersey and the Atlantic City Line at the same time.
 #1498763  by blockline4180

EuroStar wrote:No matter what they say, the reality is that there are not enough engineers to run the full schedule up in North Jersey and the Atlantic City Line at the same time.
True, but they can still get their "promise" of running ACL trains before June 30th, as long as they cut more train service elsewhere( Possibly PVL, or Montclair weekend service).. In fact I find that the most likely scenario when they bring back the trains to AC.
 #1499070  by EuroStar

blockline4180 wrote:True, but they can still get their "promise" of running ACL trains before June 30th, as long as they cut more train service elsewhere( Possibly PVL, or Montclair weekend service).. In fact I find that the most likely scenario when they bring back the trains to AC.
I doubt that very much. The PVL has quite a bit higher ridership than AC. Note that nothing has been announced about reverting the service cuts from 3 months ago up in the north. The discount went away beginning today (other than the AC discount), but there is no word about those trains coming back. While they might still come back, this looks more and more like a stealth service cut up north. The lack of engineers is mostly to blame, but sure NJT finds the cuts very convenient in terms of reducing the operating deficit. NJT is continuing the tradition of making service cuts when the economy is doing well. I cannot imagine what it will become when the economy tanks next time...
 #1499104  by blockline4180

EuroStar wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:True, but they can still get their "promise" of running ACL trains before June 30th, as long as they cut more train service elsewhere( Possibly PVL, or Montclair weekend service).. In fact I find that the most likely scenario when they bring back the trains to AC.
I doubt that very much. The PVL has quite a bit higher ridership than AC. Note that nothing has been announced about reverting the service cuts from 3 months ago up in the north. The discount went away beginning today (other than the AC discount), but there is no word about those trains coming back. While they might still come back, this looks more and more like a stealth service cut up north. The lack of engineers is mostly to blame, but sure NJT finds the cuts very convenient in terms of reducing the operating deficit. NJT is continuing the tradition of making service cuts when the economy is doing well. I cannot imagine what it will become when the economy tanks next time...

So then you are in the camp that NJT will not keep their word and not start service up on the AC Line by June 30th?? It seems we are going in circles with start up dates...
I'm just trying to figure out what exactly your thinking is on that!!