• NJT won't meet PTC Deadline

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by pumpers

I saw a recent comment on the "NJ Railfan" forum of railroad.net that PTC is "now in full force" on NJT. Is that right? I know NJT passed a key testing milestone a few weeks ago as noted here, but are all trains on NJT tracks now using PTC? (I admit I haven't been paying close attention.)
JS
Also, by the way, I know the COVID related reduction of service helped out NJT, but I congratulate NJT and their team for meeting the deadline nevertheless.
  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

pumpers wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:35 am I saw a recent comment on the "NJ Railfan" forum of railroad.net that PTC is "now in full force" on NJT. Is that right? I know NJT passed a key testing milestone a few weeks ago as noted here, but are all trains on NJT tracks now using PTC? (I admit I haven't been paying close attention.)
JS
Also, by the way, I know the COVID related reduction of service helped out NJT, but I congratulate NJT and their team for meeting the deadline nevertheless.
Yes. Link to press release and announcement at MMC last month:

https://www.insidernj.com/press-release ... ification/
  by lensovet

One thing I did find in the FRA's letters to the agency is that not all tenant railroads operating on NJT territory are compliant at this time (Dover and Delaware Railroad; Middletown & New Jersey Railroad; Morristown & Erie Railway; The New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway Corporation; and Southern Railroad of New Jersey are given until December 2023 to become compliant). Furthermore, enclosure 2 of this letter requires NJT to submit a number of follow-up plans by February 15, March 31, and June 30 of this year (the deadlines are for different things that must be remedied, thus the 3 dates).
  by pumpers

A 3-year extension for the short lines - wow. The US short line association (assuming such a group exists) must have hired a powerful lobbyist in Washington. JS
I wonder what (realistically) it will cost to upgrade one of their locomotives? I'm guessing at least as much as some of them are worth to begin with. Anyone know some $$ numbers?
  by Backshophoss

Figure in 1-3 locs on each Shortline will need ACSES gear installed,also noted the ACSES/I-ETMS shared setup with CRSA/NS/CSX was also approved on the Raritan Valley Line segment