Railroad Forums 

• NJT won't meet PTC Deadline

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1560650  by pumpers

I saw a recent comment on the "NJ Railfan" forum of railroad.net that PTC is "now in full force" on NJT. Is that right? I know NJT passed a key testing milestone a few weeks ago as noted here, but are all trains on NJT tracks now using PTC? (I admit I haven't been paying close attention.)
JS
Also, by the way, I know the COVID related reduction of service helped out NJT, but I congratulate NJT and their team for meeting the deadline nevertheless.
 #1560688  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

pumpers wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:35 am I saw a recent comment on the "NJ Railfan" forum of railroad.net that PTC is "now in full force" on NJT. Is that right? I know NJT passed a key testing milestone a few weeks ago as noted here, but are all trains on NJT tracks now using PTC? (I admit I haven't been paying close attention.)
JS
Also, by the way, I know the COVID related reduction of service helped out NJT, but I congratulate NJT and their team for meeting the deadline nevertheless.
Yes. Link to press release and announcement at MMC last month:

https://www.insidernj.com/press-release ... ification/
 #1560695  by lensovet

One thing I did find in the FRA's letters to the agency is that not all tenant railroads operating on NJT territory are compliant at this time (Dover and Delaware Railroad; Middletown & New Jersey Railroad; Morristown & Erie Railway; The New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway Corporation; and Southern Railroad of New Jersey are given until December 2023 to become compliant). Furthermore, enclosure 2 of this letter requires NJT to submit a number of follow-up plans by February 15, March 31, and June 30 of this year (the deadlines are for different things that must be remedied, thus the 3 dates).
 #1560839  by pumpers

A 3-year extension for the short lines - wow. The US short line association (assuming such a group exists) must have hired a powerful lobbyist in Washington. JS
I wonder what (realistically) it will cost to upgrade one of their locomotives? I'm guessing at least as much as some of them are worth to begin with. Anyone know some $$ numbers?
 #1560860  by Backshophoss

Figure in 1-3 locs on each Shortline will need ACSES gear installed,also noted the ACSES/I-ETMS shared setup with CRSA/NS/CSX was also approved on the Raritan Valley Line segment
 #1569847  by MTASUPT

NJT was compliant with all aspects of the PTC Mandate, including the short lines. The short lines were only required to be CSS/ATC/LSL compliant by 12/31/20 as long as they were within the CFR requirement applicable to the extension. They were, thus NJT was within the regs. The conditions were all met and submitted to the FRA and all the ACSES and ASES railroads were given two of the same conditions - On Board Database and PTSR.