Railroad Forums 

• NJT speed limits?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1560789  by CLamb

Is there an online source for speed limits of NJT controlled track and equipment?
 #1560819  by twropr

Except for the Raritan Valley Line, a few miles of NJ Coast Line and the east end of the Atlantic City Line, all of which are 80 MPH, the rest is generally 70 MPH.
Andy
 #1561031  by Matt Johnson

lensovet wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:40 pm is it 80 or 79?
80, as those lines have cab signals. I believe there is some 79 mph track on the Port Jervis line.
 #1562135  by MattW

Have they abandoned the plan to run trains at 125mph on parts of the NEC?
 #1562137  by Matt Johnson

MattW wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:20 pm Have they abandoned the plan to run trains at 125mph on parts of the NEC?
I think the ALP-45DPs failed 125 mph qualification testing - just too heavy for decent tracking characteristics I guess. I believe they're still limited to 90 mph - shades of the E60! The first gen 46s are only capable of 100 mph, so only the ALP-46As could do 125. Probably deemed not worth it.
 #1562294  by lensovet

the 45's don't really run on any segments of the NEC where 125 is even possible so i'm not sure that's super relevant.
 #1562314  by Matt Johnson

lensovet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:20 am the 45's don't really run on any segments of the NEC where 125 is even possible so i'm not sure that's super relevant.
I've seen them running NEC locals as straight electrics fairly often. I think they have so many of them (with more on the way for some reason) that there's no way they can use them all for the very limited amount of dual mode service.
 #1562336  by F40

On the Main Line, the MAS is 60mph. On the Bergen County line, the MAS is 70 mph. Southern Tier is 79 (Metro-North territory). Not sure what it is for the PVL, but the stops are so close together I doubt you reach above 50mph aside from the swamp to/from SEC.

On a side note, is there any line operating which requires the dual mode loco's? NJT is losing by using them as straight diesels (or electrics) as they guzzle fuel because of their weight. The first generation ALP's are showing their age, as I've been caught on the unfortunate end of them breaking down more than once since the summer before last.
 #1562339  by R&DB

On a side note, is there any line operating which requires the dual mode loco's?
North Jersey Coast Line is not electrified below Long Branch. One set rides from below there use dual-mode. I don't know how far out the M&E line is electrified beyond Morristown.
 #1562356  by njtmnrrbuff

The Main Line Speed Limit is 60 mph. The top speed on the Bergen County Line is 70 mph. Where the Bergen County and Main Lines are merged together, the top speed is 70.

On the electrified stretch of the Coastline, the top speed is 80 mph but 60 below Long Branch. During the week, there are a few dual mode trains from Bay Head that run to and from NYP.
 #1562359  by R36 Combine Coach

R&DB wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:16 pm
On a side note, is there any line operating which requires the dual mode loco's?
I don't know how far out the M&E line is electrified beyond Morristown.
Wire ends west of Dover station, at the U.S. 46 overpass.
lensovet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:20 am the 45's don't really run on any segments of the NEC where 125 is even possible.
That would only be Trenton-New Brunswick.
 #1562375  by F40

Thanks all for the reminder about the Bay Head runs. Since the RVL lost the NYP-directs with nothing in sight reinstating them, I was wondering what other 'dual-mode' lines were left.

The M&E is interesting. Assuming they are run with the ALP45, do trains to Hackettstown "tap the juice" until they pass Dover or do they guzzle fuel all the way to/from HOB?