Railroad Forums 

• NJT not accepting credit cards

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1389132  by mohawkrailfan

From the web site, right now: "Credit and debit card transactions are not able to be processed at TVMs, the MyTix mobile app and at ticket windows at this time . NJT is working with its vendor to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Customers may still use cash where available. All surcharges will be waived."

I had seen a lot of TVMs with "cash only" messages recently but this seems worse.
 #1398112  by CPSK

When I was at NYP today, I was trying to purchase a ticket at a TVM. The first machine I tried would not accept my credit card, but there was no message on the machine before I started the transaction, but there weren't any payment choices. Instead, there was just a illustration showing how to insert the bills.
I went to another machine, and was able to use my credit card. When I was leaving the machines, I saw several signs laying against the end machine with a message about machines accepting cash only, but these signs seemed to have been waiting for someone to pick them up and put them away, as they were not in a prominent location.

CP
 #1398114  by Backshophoss

With the conversion to "chip" credit/debt cards,there's encoded info on the mag stripe to make you use the "chip" reader instead of the "swipe" reader,
that might be part of the issue.
Also,any "chip" readers need an OK from the "Clearing Houses" to be used,some sort of glitch cropped up on the early issued "chip" cards.