Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#838251  by RearOfSignal

Terrapin Station wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:what ?? they forgot to tell you Brian ??
Depends on the answer to the question. Since you don't know the answer, you can STFU LOL.
Just one train per day this year, each direction.
 #838252  by Terrapin Station

RearOfSignal wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:what ?? they forgot to tell you Brian ??
Depends on the answer to the question. Since you don't know the answer, you can STFU LOL.
Just one train per day this year, each direction.
Has information about the upcoming season's MNCR thru trains been made public?
 #838261  by Terrapin Station

RearOfSignal wrote:http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/july2010 ... 0_vol2.pdf

Right smack-dab in the middle of page 377.
Program Description/Implementation Plan:
Meadowlands football game service will be reduced from two to one train in the fall of 2010.
Thank you!!

Third time was a charm :)

Though I anxiously await the actual meaty info meant for rider consumption.
 #838471  by jamesinclair

Terrapin Station wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:Was there service for todays game at the meadowlands?

Attendance was over 77,000.
Metro-North service? I'm 99.9999% sure there was not.
Doesnt make sense to me. Demand is demand, why provide service for one group of fans but not another?
 #838476  by DutchRailnut

The NJT /MN trains can only operate on Sundays and only certain afternoon games.
Amtrak has no other slots available, so no Saterday or weekday game trains.
 #838483  by Terrapin Station

jamesinclair wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:Was there service for todays game at the meadowlands?

Attendance was over 77,000.
Doesnt make sense to me. Demand is demand, why provide service for one group of fans but not another?
Are you basing that statement on knowledge of both what the football demand is and what the soccer would be? Because I imagine they'd be different...
 #838578  by jamesinclair

Terrapin Station wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
Are you basing that statement on knowledge of both what the football demand is and what the soccer would be? Because I imagine they'd be different...
Sports attendance is generally not that hard to predict, especially because most tickets are sold in advance. The question is not football vs soccer demand, its looking at specific games. Anybody could have told you that USA-Brazil would be a huge draw.
DutchRailnut wrote:The NJT /MN trains can only operate on Sundays and only certain afternoon games.
Amtrak has no other slots available, so no Saterday or weekday game trains.
This makes more sense, and is what I wanted to know. Thank you, and Im disappointed to hear that.
 #838587  by Terrapin Station

jamesinclair wrote: Sports attendance is generally not that hard to predict, especially because most tickets are sold in advance. The question is not football vs soccer demand, its looking at specific games. Anybody could have told you that USA-Brazil would be a huge draw.
No, you are not understanding what I am saying/asking. I'm not asking about the demand for the game. That's obvious - tickets sold. I'm talking about demand for the MNCR RAIL SERVICE from Connecticut/NYS to Secaucus/Meadowlands. You claimed that this service should have been run, and that "demand is demand". But demand for the game is not the same as demand for the rail service. Demand for the rail service depends heavily on where people are coming from, as well as several other factors that conceivably differ between football fans and soccer fans.

In order to claim that the MNCR RAIL SERVICE should have been run, you have to know both how much demand there is for the service during football games and how much demand for the service there could be expected for soccer games. I don't think you know either of those things, so I don't think you were correct or justified in making the statement that the MNCR RAIL SERVICE should have been run for the soccer game.