Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#808118  by Terrapin Station

nyrmetros wrote:Is there really a need for a football special ? just curious.
Is there really a need for anything? Need is always relative. What are your conditions for evaluating when trains are or are not needed?
 #813005  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Terrapin Station wrote:
nyrmetros wrote:I meant to say is there really a demand for a football special train? The demand for a Yankees train was obvious years ago.
Yes, there is a demand. People rode it last year.
Maybe there is a demand for it between NYC and NJ, but the CT end, with the low ridership numbers, it is hard to see where that demand is. Obviously the demand must not be great when there are plans to cut back 1 train each way.
 #813009  by Terrapin Station

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
nyrmetros wrote:I meant to say is there really a demand for a football special train? The demand for a Yankees train was obvious years ago.
Yes, there is a demand. People rode it last year.
Maybe there is a demand for it between NYC and NJ, but the CT end, with the low ridership numbers, it is hard to see where that demand is. Obviously the demand must not be great when there are plans to cut back 1 train each way.
He did not ask how great the demand was. He just asked if there is a demand. And there is. People rode the trains.
 #813040  by Terrapin Station

Sarge wrote:This year may be different with the new stadium. I believe the location is closer to the station, isn't it?
I don't think the location of the stadium will make a difference. The new stadium is closer, but the old stadium was still relatively close to the train station. It was a shorter walk than from the bus stop for the PABT buses. And it was a shorter walk than from probably 90%+ of all the on-site parking spaces.
 #813162  by MNR's #1 Conductor

That's a given the demand would be there. Just it didn't come in a high as expected. On our regular service trains, before the NJT service ran, people often asked about reaching NJ for the Giants and Jets games, so yeah it is there. Just sucks that it didn't play out as expected. I say it should have been advertised out there at least 6 -8 months prior, get it to sink in, and the schedules should have been set up to depart NH 30 minutes earlier than it was run this past season, for all 3 trains, and some adjustments a little earlier, maybe not 30 minutes, but I would say 15, should have been done for the return service.

Believe it or not, a few people used their GCT monthly passes just to go to Penn directly, saving them the "S" Shuttle and maze-like walk thru Times Square station. So it did please people in other ways too.
 #813178  by Terrapin Station

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:That's a given the demand would be there. Just it didn't come in a high as expected. On our regular service trains, before the NJT service ran, people often asked about reaching NJ for the Giants and Jets games, so yeah it is there. Just sucks that it didn't play out as expected. I say it should have been advertised out there at least 6 -8 months prior, get it to sink in, and the schedules should have been set up to depart NH 30 minutes earlier than it was run this past season, for all 3 trains, and some adjustments a little earlier, maybe not 30 minutes, but I would say 15, should have been done for the return service.

Believe it or not, a few people used their GCT monthly passes just to go to Penn directly, saving them the "S" Shuttle and maze-like walk thru Times Square station. So it did please people in other ways too.
Yes, it was pretty much a given that at least one person would like to ride the service. So what were the expected demands, and what were the actual demands that didn't come in as high?