Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1324509  by sullivan1985

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:
TDowling wrote:With Njt's five year plan to scrap all the single levels will there even be any of the older locomotives left? I ask this under the assumption that only the pl42s and the dual modes can haul multilevels...
Source on your theory of scrapping the single levels?
It's not a theory: http://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/nj ... n-upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
NJ Transit plans to replace all single-level rail cars with the multi-level or double deckers by 2020. It’ll allow them to decrease the overall number of trains in operation, while increasing the number of seats by about 6 percent.
I'll believe it when I see it. The majority of the Hoboken Division (not including midtown trains) are running with not even three cars full for the greater part of the day. This is most likely more in reference to the Newark Division where ridership numbers actually justify such a large fleet acquisition. The Hoboken Division currently does not have the capacity to maintain undercarriages inspections on more than three sets as only Hoboken has a pit track capable of performing such inspections on our ML diesel sets.

Based on information I've seen, the Comet Vs are slated for a midlife overhaul in the near future.
 #1324559  by F-line to Dudley via Park

sullivan1985 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:
TDowling wrote:With Njt's five year plan to scrap all the single levels will there even be any of the older locomotives left? I ask this under the assumption that only the pl42s and the dual modes can haul multilevels...
Source on your theory of scrapping the single levels?
It's not a theory: http://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/nj ... n-upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
NJ Transit plans to replace all single-level rail cars with the multi-level or double deckers by 2020. It’ll allow them to decrease the overall number of trains in operation, while increasing the number of seats by about 6 percent.
I'll believe it when I see it. The majority of the Hoboken Division (not including midtown trains) are running with not even three cars full for the greater part of the day. This is most likely more in reference to the Newark Division where ridership numbers actually justify such a large fleet acquisition. The Hoboken Division currently does not have the capacity to maintain undercarriages inspections on more than three sets as only Hoboken has a pit track capable of performing such inspections on our ML diesel sets.

Based on information I've seen, the Comet Vs are slated for a midlife overhaul in the near future.
Sure. We can believe it when you see it because $$$ can disappear and plans can change, but that's the story they're sticking to and a Google News search will return a couple dozen similar articles from that high-profile announcement last year. So it's way way beyond rumor stage.

As for the V's, they'd certainly be last. But with MNRR, SEPTA, the MBTA, and AMT junking all their Comet IV-and-earlier -lineage flats in the same timeframe the V's will in 7-8 years be the last fleet of commuter rail single-levels on the continent that number more than a token few dozen. So parts/maint scale craters quickly and probably doesn't have them finishing out their rated lifespan before economics favor early outright replacement.
 #1334397  by ryanov

Fewer trains. Just what I wanted as a rider.

What the heck is a hydro bus?
 #1334917  by amtrakhogger

NJT 4100 leading two MN F40PH's @ Hunter going west at 1024a today on test train.
 #1335188  by trainspot

amtrakhogger wrote:NJT 4100 leading two MN F40PH's @ Hunter going west at 1024a today on test train.
Caught a glimpse of this heading east later that day, would you happen to know the F40 numbers? TIA.
 #1335228  by srock1028

trainspot wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:NJT 4100 leading two MN F40PH's @ Hunter going west at 1024a today on test train.
Caught a glimpse of this heading east later that day, would you happen to know the F40 numbers? TIA.
The 4912 and 4914.
 #1335306  by trainspot

srock1028 wrote:The 4912 and 4914.
Thanks

Moderator's Note: Fixed quote coding.