Railroad Forums 

• NJT MLV EMU Procurement

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1073155  by 25Hz

At trenton one time an arrow set i was riding in from newark opened its doors going ~5 mph for a good 500 feet. Some genius in a big hurry actually pushed me and told me to "come on". I had a few choice words for him.
 #1073248  by DutchRailnut

answer: far less lawyers.
 #1073355  by ACeInTheHole

kilroy wrote:
and most folks knew at the time to stay in the car until the train stops (thats what the sign on the aisle door STILL stays....but no one reads it anyway).
Yeah and walked right off the bridge and into the river....

I stll can't belive the guy did that and that was before smartphones.
... When was this? Someone walked off a train over the side of a bridge? I'm confused.
 #1073872  by DutchRailnut

Since we do not know how many seats a MLV power car will have, its a guess at best, but so far the MLV are:
127 (cab car); 132 (trailer car with restroom), 142 (standard trailer car)

the Arrows are probably averaging around 106 per car
 #1073886  by 25Hz

I think based on transformers i've seen for EMU you can estimate a loss of 16-18 seats per car.

If you shortened the double level section, and had a longer mezzanine, you could make up some of those seats in the mezzanine area. It also depends on how they orient the transformers. If they orient them transversely you lose fewer seats than if they orient them longitudinally.

Another thing is that if they go with 2 trailers in between the power cars, those few seats lost won't make much of a difference. They may go another direction entirely and come up with something i'm not thinking of, though the possibilities with the MLV form factor have limitations due to overall weight, how the weight is distributed, and where you put doors and pantographs and HVAC and dynamic brake grids (yes you'll need them stopping a 10-12 car MLV train), and truck design.

It is possible, but what the end product looks like (layout) may be radically different than the current coaches in service
 #1073901  by DutchRailnut

Wow are we glad that 25Hz has all answers about propulsion not seen by anyone ?? just sayinn.
 #1073904  by amtrakowitz

DutchRailnut wrote:Wow are we glad that 25Hz has all answers about propulsion not seen by anyone ?? just sayinn.
Don't tell us that the MTA's considering making M9s and M10s out of NJT's idea.
 #1073906  by DutchRailnut

No they did not, but Multi levels ala NJT are still being studied at MNCR engineering with Dutch MDDM as sample Power car.
The M-9a will be DC only, and pretty much be like M-3a was to M-1a, so basicly a improved and upgraded M-7a
 #1073957  by nick11a

It's amazing... I can almost predict what people are going to say in here.

I must be special.

Reminder: If you haven't seen information regarding things you haven't seen or don't know about, then you haven't seen or you don't know about it.

Beyond that, conjecture at your own risk.
 #1087489  by Jishnu

Through all this hubbub apparently no one noticed that the particular agenda item that started this discussion was quietly dropped from the agenda during the meeting and the Board did not vote on this. It was left out for possible consideration at a later meeting, which has apparently not happened yet.
 #1087679  by blockline4180

Jishnu wrote:Through all this hubbub apparently no one noticed that the particular agenda item that started this discussion was quietly dropped from the agenda during the meeting and the Board did not vote on this. It was left out for possible consideration at a later meeting, which has apparently not happened yet.
Okay, well that just tells me that the Arrow III's will probably be working beyond 2015 then, as I don't believe the Multilevel II's will replace all the MU''s!
Better get more duct type out!! HA
 #1087687  by Silverliner II

blockline4180 wrote:Better get more duct type out!! HA
Well, that roof coating is the color of duct tape... :P
Despite the Arrow's issues, I still think they are in better shape than the Silverliner IV's. Those have never had a full-scale mechanical rebuild yet. And from a visual/sound standpoint, a dozen Arrows streaking through Linden still manages to sound better than 8 Silverliner IV's clanking and clattering by on a deadhead move through Croydon...