Railroad Forums 

• NJT HOBOKEN TERMINAL ACCIDENT THREAD

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1402799  by John_Perkowski

From the NJT Homepage:
"Rail service is suspended in/out of Hoboken due to a train accident at Hoboken station. NJT bus/private carriers, New York Waterway cross-honoring rail tickets/passes. PATH & HBLR is suspended in/out Hoboken. Emergency number for all calls regarding this incident is 855 336-1775."
Time is 1105 Eastern.
 #1402800  by CPSK

A thought; Could the train have lost its brakes due to excessive braking while coming through the switch yard approaching the terminal? I understand that excessive braking can cause air reservoirs to become low or depleted as the demand for air from the reservoir cannot keep up with the compressors pumping air into them.

CP
 #1402804  by CAR_FLOATER

Looks like they are already going to start to play the blame game, specifically in regards to PTC.......This is copied directly from MSN's live feed - "Commuter train that crashed into New Jersey Transit's Hoboken terminal was not equipped with positive train control technology - NBC News"
 #1402806  by MCL1981

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Looks like they are already going to start to play the blame game, specifically in regards to PTC.......This is copied directly from MSN's live feed - "Commuter train that crashed into New Jersey Transit's Hoboken terminal was not equipped with positive train control technology - NBC News"
Well that's a new record time for an unrelated system to be blamed for something it has nothing to do with. Coming up next, a politician will cry that something must be done, demand change, call for new regulations, and cite statistics from a lobbyist about saving lives. Meanwhile, there was probably just a grade crossing accident somewhere with a pile of bodies that nobody noticed.
 #1402807  by Ken W2KB

CAR_FLOATER wrote:NJT just released an official announcement.

I am surprised that the live catenary didn't become an issue.
Highly unlikely to be an issue other than confirmation as a safety precaution that wires not energized. The traction power protection system relaying would immediately trip the breakers upon detection of the fault.
 #1402811  by truck6018

Ken W2KB wrote:
CAR_FLOATER wrote:I am surprised that the live catenary didn't become an issue.
Highly unlikely to be an issue other than confirmation as a safety precaution that wires not energized. The traction power protection system relaying would immediately trip the breakers upon detection of the fault.
Even if the wires were not energized, does not mean they were grounded.
 #1402812  by bellstbarn

Yes, I also was wondering what track the train was arriving on. However, disclosing a track number probably violates the Hush Hush rules of this board.
Joe, who much admires the Hoboken operations.
 #1402813  by Angus202

CarterB wrote:Anyone know what track # the train was on?
Heard it was track 5, which is pretty common for 1614 (I ride it with some frequency). Anyone know if there was a cast iron or concrete bumper on this track? Hope the engineer is OK.
 #1402814  by SRich

ohalloranchris wrote:Agreed, just awful. I am unfamiliar with the layout. Is this the station on the NEC, or the terminal with stub end tracks down by the river?
Its not on the NEC but an NJT line.

Does has NJT CCS as safety system?
truck6018 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:
CAR_FLOATER wrote:I am surprised that the live catenary didn't become an issue.
Even if the wires were not energized, does not mean they were grounded.
In the Netherlands its a procedure that whenever an incident is happening, then an government agency is grounding the catenary before any emergency worker is allowed to enter a train, i suspect its the samen in USA but then perhaps the railroad owner must do that
 #1402816  by F40

CPSK wrote:A thought; Could the train have lost its brakes due to excessive braking while coming through the switch yard approaching the terminal? I understand that excessive braking can cause air reservoirs to become low or depleted as the demand for air from the reservoir cannot keep up with the compressors pumping air into them.

CP
I know we can't speculate (neither is it healthy), but the chances of this are virtually nil. Brakes are the "fail-safe" component of trains, trucks, and buses. Regular braking does not do much to the air in the reservoir tank. If there was low pressure (60-80 psi), you still would have braking, but it's not a complete loss. If something were to happen to the brake line causing loss of all air pressure (or cause it to drop below 40), the spring brakes would kick in causing emergency braking since there is not enough pressure to hold back the powerful springs which keep the brakes in released mode.

My thoughts and prayers are with all who are involved in this tragic event.
 #1402817  by MCL1981

CNN is reporting the engineer was unresponsive when removed from the cab. Unknown if a result of the crash, or a medical condition that may have precipitated the crash. Hopefully he isn't one of the three dead at this point.