Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1490101  by Blackstreet

Despite that I live near the Philadelphia area, it is extremely rare that I get to come to the state of New Jersey, much more use New Jersey Transit. But I've not that long ago discovered that the NJT Arrow trains were recycled from our Septa Silverliner cars! I'm a huge fan of Septa's Silverliner 3 and 4 cars; I strongly dislike our Silverliner 5s.

I would like to ride the NJT Arrow one day! Can anyone tell me what routes they serve? What lines do they run on? I did have plans of taking a trip to Cherry Hill Mall and was going to go there by taking the Septa 13 Trolley from Darby to Philadelphia and then the NJT 404 bus the rest of the way. Then I would return home by using 415 to Patco's Haddonfield Station, Patco to Central Philadelphia and then the Regional Rail home. But is there anyway to use the NJT Arrow train during my itinerary?

Even though they — for obvious reasons — don't have the Septa markings, it's nice to see the older model Silverliner cars being salvaged and used by another transit agency, a local one at that! It takes me back to memories of when Septa used to be fun to ride. Our 141 Septa Kawasaki LRV's are being replaced a few years from now; it would be nice if NJT or some other agency would take our K-cars and recycle them too!
 #1490106  by chrisf

While the Arrows are similar to the Silverliners, none of them were ever SEPTA Silverliners.
 #1490108  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Blackstreet wrote:But is there anyway to use the NJT Arrow train during my itinerary?
The only NJT heavy rail line in the Cherry Hill/ Camden County area is the Atlantic City line with stations in Cherry Hill and Pennsauken. But it would be if no use for your purpose anyway as 1) not-electrified / diesel only, and 2) currently out of service for PTC installation.
 #1490126  by CNJGeep

Blackstreet wrote:But I've not that long ago discovered that the NJT Arrow trains were recycled from our Septa Silverliner cars!
No, they aren't.
I'm a huge fan of Septa's Silverliner 3 and 4 cars; I strongly dislike our Silverliner 5s.
The Arrows are newer than the Silverliner IVs.
I would like to ride the NJT Arrow one day! Can anyone tell me what routes they serve? What lines do they run on?
The Gladstone Branch is a pretty safe bet, the NEC from Trenton to NYP is running some sets too.
I did have plans of taking a trip to Cherry Hill Mall and was going to go there by taking the Septa 13 Trolley from Darby to Philadelphia and then the NJT 404 bus the rest of the way. Then I would return home by using 415 to Patco's Haddonfield Station, Patco to Central Philadelphia and then the Regional Rail home. But is there anyway to use the NJT Arrow train during my itinerary?
No
Even though they — for obvious reasons — don't have the Septa markings
Yes, because they were never SEPTA cars
It's nice to see the older model Silverliner cars being salvaged and used by another transit agency, a local one at that!
Again, two totally separate car fleets, and Arrow cars were never part of the Silverliner Family.
It takes me back to memories of when Septa used to be fun to ride.
It's still fun to ride.
Our 141 Septa Kawasaki LRV's are being replaced a few years from now; it would be nice if NJT or some other agency would take our K-cars and recycle them too!
What would NJT or any other agency do with a bunch of nearly forty-year old trolleys that aren't ADA accessible??
 #1490132  by njtmnrrbuff

You are almost guaranteed to get an Arrow III set on the Gladstone Branch as they were made for that line. On the NEC, they run regularly but not as much as they used to. Up until more multilevels entered revenue service, the Arrow IIIs put in many miles on the NEC, especially on Trenton locals. During the off peak hours and on weekends, they will show up on random local trains here and there but the majority of the NJT trains on the NEC are multilevel sets. Arrow IIIs run a lot on the Jersey Avenue semi expresses. Arrow IIIs run on many Summit to Hoboken locals and on a few trains that run as far as Dover on the M&E. On the Montclair-Boonton Line, they show up a lot on various MSU-Hoboken runs. The Arrow IIIs may hold on for some more time since NJT needs as much equipment as possible as they are going through significant equipment and crew shortages.
 #1490147  by R36 Combine Coach

Blackstreet wrote:Despite that I live near the Philadelphia area, it is extremely rare that I get to come to the state of New Jersey, much more use New Jersey Transit. But I've not that long ago discovered that the NJT Arrow trains were recycled from our Septa Silverliner cars! I'm a huge fan of Septa's Silverliner 3 and 4 cars; I strongly dislike our Silverliner 5s.
The Arrow IIs were directly based on the Silverliner IVs, being basically Silverliner IV shells (paired configuration) with center door and no dynamic mode assembled 1974 after the single units and before the Silverliner pairs. The roof hump is identical. Arrow IIIs followed in 1977-1978.
 #1490530  by mcgrath618

CNJGeep wrote:
Our 141 Septa Kawasaki LRV's are being replaced a few years from now; it would be nice if NJT or some other agency would take our K-cars and recycle them too!
What would NJT or any other agency do with a bunch of nearly forty-year old trolleys that aren't ADA accessible??
In all seriousness, I have taken them on the NEC before. I'm more of a Philly guy so I don't know if they still run.
Somewhere for SURE I know they run is from Princeton Junction to Princeton. It's a single married pair that just goes back and forth iirc.
 #1490541  by R36 Combine Coach

mcgrath618 wrote:Somewhere for SURE I know they run is from Princeton Junction to Princeton. It's a single married pair that just goes back and forth iirc.
Two single units. Until about 10 years ago was a single car shuttle.
 #1490611  by CNJGeep

Princeton Shuttle is currently suspended UFN.
 #1490683  by andrewjw

They are both suspended until there is enough equipment available to maintain daily service levels. If Christie's administration had allowed PTC hardware to be installed on a reasonable timeline, we wouldn't be in this position, but without these shutdowns there would be much larger cuts on January 1.
 #1490712  by blockline4180

Blackstreet,

The Arrow Mus are mainly used from Hoboken to Gladstone and a few are now sent to and from Morristown during the morning rush. Also one evening rush hour train to Dover also has a 3 car set. I think train #657 Hoboken to Dover.
 #1490719  by Zuccaraillo

One of those morning rush trains they ran with west of Summit on the Morristown was 626 from what I've heard, which comes off 309. It once ran with a diesel set but switched to electric recently.
 #1492618  by Jeff Smith

ADMIN: Next person who argues in this thread about something other than Arrows (cough K-car cough) gets a spanking. Like your parents before me, I don’t give a crap who started it and who responded last.
 #1492903  by ryanov

Does anyone know for sure why the Princeton Shuttle needed to be replaced by a bus? It's two cars.